August 21, 2019, 11:57:13 AM

Author Topic: The Pot of Gold  (Read 2332 times)

August 10, 2019, 01:46:20 AM
Reply #15

Shogun

Administrator
How many break through at any team?

I mean, the top clubs may have a few but I’d wager most of them had been bought from another academy once they showed promise.

Like us and Lewis Gibson for example.
I never claimed to be a saint

August 10, 2019, 02:07:54 AM
Reply #16

formerKHL

Academies are all about development.......some make the grade most don’t....it gives the player the opportunity to make the grade....it gives the club the opportunity to develop home grown players into the first team...
Just because you have an academy doesn’t mean every player is going to make the grade... we’d end up with a first team squad of 50 or more players if that was the case...... hence why only the cream rises and you only get 1 or 2 making the first team....

August 10, 2019, 02:24:10 AM
Reply #17

KoemansNumberTens

The issue isn’t if Holgate gets minutes in the first team. If and when he’s close to being ready that will happen. The issue is the 18 year old with great potential stuck behind a Pennington who’s absolutely not going to make it and is just retained to win a meaningless u23s league

August 10, 2019, 03:23:34 AM
Reply #18

markB

The issue isn’t if Holgate gets minutes in the first team. If and when he’s close to being ready that will happen. The issue is the 18 year old with great potential stuck behind a Pennington who’s absolutely not going to make it and is just retained to win a meaningless u23s league

you might want to rethink that

August 10, 2019, 03:34:04 AM
Reply #19

KoemansNumberTens

August 10, 2019, 03:36:21 AM
Reply #20

markB

he has not been playing for the u23s he has been out on loan for 2 years so playing meaningless u23s football would be hard to do you would think

August 10, 2019, 03:43:28 AM
Reply #21

markB

He just hasn’t got the physical profile of a modern full back. Could possibly make it as a PL player, but not a top 6 player.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

you got a funny shape TV look the same as are 2 starting fullbacks on mine

August 10, 2019, 03:45:01 AM
Reply #22

KoemansNumberTens

he has not been playing for the u23s he has been out on loan for 2 years so playing meaningless u23s football would be hard to do you would think

I’m aware of that. He probably shouldn’t have made it to 21 at the club either. We have the oldest u23s squad full of players who’ve no chance of a premier league career purely because we then win the meaningless league
We even tried to retain sambou another who has no chance at our level. Make an early decision and get rid of them. Clear the space for someone else. How many years has Pennington got on his contract? He’s a player we couldn’t get a championship side to give us money for. It’s just daft

August 10, 2019, 03:55:35 AM
Reply #23

Paddockoldie

You'll never win anything with kids... True and wise words indeed.

August 10, 2019, 03:59:47 AM
Reply #24

markB

I’m aware of that. He probably shouldn’t have made it to 21 at the club either. We have the oldest u23s squad full of players who’ve no chance of a premier league career purely because we then win the meaningless league
We even tried to retain sambou another who has no chance at our level. Make an early decision and get rid of them. Clear the space for someone else. How many years has Pennington got on his contract? He’s a player we couldn’t get a championship side to give us money for. It’s just daft

your aware that what you saying is wrong but say it anyway seem like we have been here before

August 10, 2019, 04:07:23 AM
Reply #25

Dr. Sponge

He just hasn't got the physical profile of a modern full back. Could possibly make it as a PL player, but not a top 6 player.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
He is slight, but what better role model than Baines.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 10, 2019, 05:21:39 AM
Reply #26

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He is slight, but what better role model than Baines.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Baines is a superb footballer though.

It isn’t really whether you’re slight or not, more whether you can keep going up and down the wing.

Coleman’s big advantage was/ is, that he could keep going and going beyond most of his opponents.

August 10, 2019, 05:41:25 AM
Reply #27

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
The last research I read said there are 1,500,000 kids playing youth football and the likelihood is 180 of them will reach a level where they play in the PL. 0.012%.
In 2016 the top 6 teams used 17 players from their academies.

In that context I don't think we do too badly? Many of the  players go on to be sold and every now and again you get a world class player who goes for mega millions. Do you think all these clubs would do it if they didn't feel they got value for money? You don't get eg 3 a year, sometimes it's more sometimes it's none. If Spurs sell Kane how many years academy expenses will that pay?
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

August 10, 2019, 12:18:57 PM
Reply #28

KoemansNumberTens

your aware that what you saying is wrong but say it anyway seem like we have been here before

It was more a point of he shouldn’t still be at the club and shouldn’t have been for a long time. When have we been here before? You’re a bit of a strange boy mark as I don’t even recall speaking to you before

Our 23s are set up to win the u23s league. The right way to do it is to set them up to develop an elite talent or 2. Do you disagree

August 10, 2019, 02:01:53 PM
Reply #29

Toddacelli

It was more a point of he shouldn’t still be at the club and shouldn’t have been for a long time. When have we been here before? You’re a bit of a strange boy mark as I don’t even recall speaking to you before

Our 23s are set up to win the u23s league. The right way to do it is to set them up to develop an elite talent or 2. Do you disagree

I know what you're saying. Think he's missed the point.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates