December 13, 2019, 02:08:26 AM

Author Topic: Sigurdsson  (Read 10085 times)

August 13, 2019, 03:40:43 AM
Read 10085 times

Dr. Sponge

Capable of heavenly blessed divine beauty (belter goals). Excellent end product.

But does his lack of involvement in the build up play limit us as a team?

Is that his style or is it Silva's decision to keep him pressed high?

Let's get it all in here.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:45:15 AM by Gash »

August 13, 2019, 03:42:57 AM
Reply #1

Dr. Sponge

Mods... please add an s to his name. Apologies.

August 13, 2019, 04:06:03 AM
Reply #2

markB

you have to ask yourself if he is so good as a 10 0r an 8 why did Swansea move him out to the left in his last year with them

August 13, 2019, 04:17:24 AM
Reply #3

mikey_blue

I think it's a bit of both. Sigurdsson's game is what it is, and he's at his statistical best, when he's right behind the striker. Having him played further back, would completely change his positioning on the pitch, him arriving late into the box, and picking up the ball in dangerous areas would change. He wouldn't score as many goals, or get as many assists. Like it or not, that's what wins games. Which he does for us on a regular basis, so credit where it's due.

Unfortunately for us, he has to play there to make up for Dom's deficiencies in front of goal, and that is a Silva decision.

Im intrigued by the idea of a 433, but can't see the who the midfield 3 would be. We struggle starting passing moves and playing through the middle so I don't think dropping Sig would help in that regard, as he's probably our best passer (in the final third). It's puzzling.

We will need to change something to get better though.

August 13, 2019, 04:32:49 AM
Reply #4

Dr. Sponge

you have to ask yourself if he is so good as a 10 0r an 8 why did Swansea move him out to the left in his last year with them
Their decisions got them relegated.

But yeah moving him to the left of a 433 is an option. Get the extra man in midfield and keep his goals and assists in the team. Could be as simple as switching him and Bernard, if Bernard is up to it.

Or, up steps Iwobi.

August 13, 2019, 05:50:44 AM
Reply #5

boothill

At home i would like to see him just behind a front 2 of kean and dcl with gbammin gomes and iwobi the middle 3. Probably get steam rollered,  but it gives us good attacking possibillities sort of 4312

Sent from my POT-LX1 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 13, 2019, 06:03:23 AM
Reply #6

sam of the south

At home i would like to see him just behind a front 2 of kean and dcl with gbammin gomes and iwobi the middle 3. Probably get steam rollered,  but it gives us good attacking possibillities sort of 4312

So, no Richarlison or Bernard, then?
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

August 13, 2019, 06:57:55 AM
Reply #7

boothill

Jesus,  forgot about richarlison, wtf .  Him ln for dcl,  bernard on bench with dcl.
So, no Richarlison or Bernard, then?

August 13, 2019, 07:02:17 AM
Reply #8

boothill

Very good finisher,  could he even play off kean

August 13, 2019, 07:17:55 AM
Reply #9

Evertonian in NC

It's not all or nothing.  Plenty of minutes for everybody.  But the basic shape of the team and every possible configuration should not be based on having him on the pitch almost every minute.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

August 13, 2019, 07:32:06 AM
Reply #10

boothill

God no,  just trying to put some positiveness in as its a post about him
It's not all or nothing.  Plenty of minutes for everybody.  But the basic shape of the team and every possible configuration should not be based on having him on the pitch almost every minute.

August 13, 2019, 01:37:07 PM
Reply #11

GrantyBoy78

Hes a match winner. We havent got enough of them.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

August 13, 2019, 01:43:42 PM
Reply #12

Heisenberg

If he doesnt score he may aswell not be on the pitch. We have options now with Iwobi so sigi will often be subbed before them goals come. Iwobi is probably a nail in the gyilfi coffin

August 13, 2019, 02:53:26 PM
Reply #13

GrantyBoy78

I think all arguments about Siggy are valid to a degree. He does need to be involved more but hes created numerous quality chances that DCL and Walcott have spooned wide of the target. Highly creative, goal scoring attacking midfielders/ number 10s, are few and far between. They tend to be one or the other.

Its been probably been mentioned in the formation thread, but I think Marco would like to play a 433, like Klopp. Attacking fullbacks, 3 solid box-to-box midfielders and 2 inverted goal-scoring wingers playing off a striker. He plays Sig because hes here and hed be hard to shift, and he might as well use him as best he can.

Rather than try to reinvent the wheel and ditch Sig completely, I think he should just be played 10 yards deeper. Digne aside, hes the most intelligent player we have, he just doesnt have the pace to operate that high up the pitch. I think Iwobi and Bernard would lose the ball even more than Sig does, if they played as close to the opposition CBs and hes told to.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

August 13, 2019, 03:32:53 PM
Reply #14

dazfrancis

There's a strong argument to playing Sig where he is, right up front alongside DCL because he gets goals and to a lesser degree assists. This works well when teams come out and attack us

But he should realise when teams play deep he needs to go an find space in between their lines to pick up the ball and turn. He has all the ability to do it.