August 22, 2019, 08:07:48 AM

Author Topic: Sigurdsson  (Read 1714 times)

August 13, 2019, 03:37:19 PM
Reply #15

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
But he doesn't, and he never has in his entire career and he's now 29.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 13, 2019, 04:24:30 PM
Reply #16

Cozzie

I don't to just banish sig all together. But I do feel we need to begin the phasing out of the man.

If its true about Reinier coming in Jan I think I would like to see Sig start less and less.

I do feel he stifles us a bit in terms of creative play but the lad does get goals, can't argue there.

August 13, 2019, 04:38:28 PM
Reply #17

Dr. Sponge

Hopefully if Kean turns out to be a goal threat we can afford for Sigurdsson to get involved in the play a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 13, 2019, 04:54:41 PM
Reply #18

Hesmenos

I always thought Sig was at his most dangerous when he picked up the ball about 10 yards further back where he has more space. That goal against Leicester a prime example but also some great through balls into the area for Walcott to run onto.
I don't see the point of sticking him so close to the center backs when he can't out-muscle them and he's not going to win any headers.

August 13, 2019, 04:59:43 PM
Reply #19

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He comes alive when Walcott is in the side a little bit I think. Needs runs to play balls into.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 13, 2019, 06:22:37 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think all arguments about Siggy are valid to a degree. He does need to be involved more but heís created numerous quality chances that DCL and Walcott have spooned wide of the target. Highly creative, goal scoring attacking midfielders/ number 10s, are few and far between. They tend to be one or the other.

Itís been probably been mentioned in the formation thread, but I think Marco would like to play a 433, like Klopp. Attacking fullbacks, 3 solid box-to-box midfielders and 2 inverted goal-scoring wingers playing off a striker. He plays Sig because heís here and heíd be hard to shift, and he might as well use him as best he can.

Rather than try to reinvent the wheel and ditch Sig completely, I think he should just be played 10 yards deeper. Digne aside, heís the most intelligent player we have, he just doesnít have the pace to operate that high up the pitch. I think Iwobi and Bernard would lose the ball even more than Sig does, if they played as close to the opposition CBs and heís told to.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

Agree with most of this apart from I think the 10 yard deeper thing isnít really an option/ solution.

If he really wanted a significant increase in his involvement heíd be looking for it naturally.

As @brap2 says, at 29 heís not going to start now. And letís face it, it has been a successful model for him.

If he did drop deeper Iím sure an opposition defender would follow and itís then when it shows how much you really want the ball.

He is what he is, we have to find ways/ players to provide what he doesnít in the type of fixtures where he struggles to impact the general play. 

August 13, 2019, 06:30:40 PM
Reply #21

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Saw an average position thingy for saturdays game and sigurdsson was our furthest man forward, comfortably as well
Simply simply lovely

August 13, 2019, 09:14:15 PM
Reply #22

kramer0

Saw an average position thingy for saturdays game and sigurdsson was our furthest man forward, comfortably as well

Says everything. Calvert-Lewin is putting in more work to get the ball into the final third than our #10.

August 13, 2019, 09:31:31 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

Kind of backs up my suspicions with DCL. He spends a lot of time doing too much grunt work because the players around him aren't much of a threat.

Bernard is never going to trouble defenders going the other way, Richarlison for all his talent has many quiet spells and Sig is anonymous for long periods while he drifts within a 30 yard radius.

Really looking forward to seeing Iwobi and Kean, in whatever position they come in at, to see if it changes the team dynamic. 

August 13, 2019, 09:48:46 PM
Reply #24

GrantyBoy78

Says everything. Calvert-Lewin is putting in more work to get the ball into the final third than our #10.
...or DCL is treading on the toes of our #10 when he should be on the shoulders on the CBs, looking to stretch them and make runs for our #10.

August 13, 2019, 09:52:26 PM
Reply #25

kramer0

...or DCL is treading on the toes of our #10 when he should be on the shoulders on the CBs, looking to stretch them and make runs for our #10.

The one who doesn't have the ball ever?

August 13, 2019, 09:54:06 PM
Reply #26

stirlingblue

Nah, Sig sits right up against the centre backs so beyond that is offside

August 13, 2019, 09:56:02 PM
Reply #27

Omar

Sig was one fourth of our goals last season, perspective people.
You come at the king, you best not miss.

August 13, 2019, 09:58:34 PM
Reply #28

blueski

I think right now its impossible to do anything about Sigurdsson and the way he plays until we start getting consistent goal production from someone else. Maybe that's Kean maybe DCL maybe someone else but I think for the time being until that happens Sig is going to play virtually every possible minute.
Nil Satis

August 13, 2019, 10:02:57 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Maybe we'll see if Kean plays in place of DCL then.