December 07, 2019, 10:27:49 PM

Author Topic: Do you feel entitled?  (Read 1096 times)

November 30, 2019, 04:32:51 AM
Read 1096 times

YankeeBlue214

As supporters of the Club, do you feel that Everton owes you more transparency and/or details around the inner workings of what they're doing?

Discussions around what's happening with the manager. Which transfers they're pursuing ("we're in talks with Watford to acquire Doucoure and are hopeful that an agreement will be reached") or looking to move ("so & so is available and the player is open to a fresh start"). And so forth. This practice would quite literally give the media something to report on other than rumors.

Some supporters have been season ticket holders for decades. Some spend quite a bit of their earnings to help sell out every away game ticket allotment. Some are simply fed up with the long title/silverware drought. My early observations are that older fans feel much more entitled than younger ones, perhaps simply because they've been diehard supporters for far longer, but I don't really know and I don't want to assume.

Or perhaps transparency about some things, but not others? American sports have no equivalency to this aspect of football, so I am genuinely interested in everyone's opinions about this, and why you may feel that way.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana

November 30, 2019, 05:03:03 AM
Reply #1

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
As supporters of the Club, do you feel that Everton owes you more transparency and/or details around the inner workings of what they're doing?

Discussions around what's happening with the manager. Which transfers they're pursuing ("we're in talks with Watford to acquire Doucoure and are hopeful that an agreement will be reached") or looking to move ("so & so is available and the player is open to a fresh start"). And so forth. This practice would quite literally give the media something to report on other than rumors.

Some supporters have been season ticket holders for decades. Some spend quite a bit of their earnings to help sell out every away game ticket allotment. Some are simply fed up with the long title/silverware drought. My early observations are that older fans feel much more entitled than younger ones, perhaps simply because they've been diehard supporters for far longer, but I don't really know and I don't want to assume.

Or perhaps transparency about some things, but not others? American sports have no equivalency to this aspect of football, so I am genuinely interested in everyone's opinions about this, and why you may feel that way.

Well this load of bollocks really takes the fucking biscuit ! “Your observations “ from where, the fucking planet Mars ? That older supporters feel more entitled than younger ones ? How the fuck do you arrive at that conclusion from 3,000 miles away ? Yes I’m an older ST holder but feel no more “entitled” than younger fans, I have seen us as Champions and European winners and only wish for the youngsters amongst our fan base to also experience that one day soon, I think that they should feel more entitled to it than me.

November 30, 2019, 05:15:34 AM
Reply #2

YankeeBlue214

Well this load of bollocks really takes the fucking biscuit ! “Your observations “ from where, the fucking planet Mars ? That older supporters feel more entitled than younger ones ? How the fuck do you arrive at that conclusion from 3,000 miles away ? Yes I’m an older ST holder but feel no more “entitled” than younger fans, I have seen us as Champions and European winners and only wish for the youngsters amongst our fan base to also experience that one day soon, I think that they should feel more entitled to it than me.

Mostly from ToffeeWeb, which is about 80% supporters of 30-40 years. Are you done yet?

I've mostly been polite, and I asked legitimate questions to spark conversation. If you don't like it, there's an ignore feature, use it.
- George Santayana

November 30, 2019, 05:18:21 AM
Reply #3

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Mostly from ToffeeWeb, which is about 80% supporters of 30-40 years. Are you done yet?

I've mostly been polite, and I asked legitimate questions to spark conversation. If you don't like it, there's an ignore feature, use it.
Yup, thank you for reminding me of the ignore button, we’re done.

November 30, 2019, 05:20:44 AM
Reply #4

YankeeBlue214

Does anyone who isn't running low on tampons have a thought around this?
- George Santayana

November 30, 2019, 05:40:03 AM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Nope. As much as I’d love to know what’s going on the club owe me nothing. My choice to put myself through 34 of misery save two trophy moments.

Maybe if I put cash into the club I’d feel more entitled to some answers.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

November 30, 2019, 05:48:50 AM
Reply #6

YankeeBlue214

Nope. As much as I’d love to know what’s going on the club owe me nothing. My choice to put myself through 34 of misery save two trophy moments.

Maybe if I put cash into the club I’d feel more entitled to some answers.

Mostly I feel the same way, but again, through an upbringing and lens of American sports. Yankees fans are rabid, but they somehow seem patient to wait for things to happen before losing their collective minds lol. Rumors are actually fairly substantiated because it's not uncommon to speak openly about potential signings or contracts (as I noted in the OP).
- George Santayana

November 30, 2019, 06:03:41 AM
Reply #7

TSGun

I understand what you're suggesting but I suppose in the world of business it's not always considered the preferred method to outwardly present potential dealings. Unless of course it's 100% secure.

Personally I like the unknown and trying to read between the lines in terms of what may or may not happen with staff, players etc. It's predictable to some degree, Niasse for example, but the excitement grows greater when positive tangents are taken.

November 30, 2019, 10:56:13 AM
Reply #8

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

Does anyone who isn't running low on tampons have a thought around this?

Please don’t use women’s periods as a way to make your point. Cheers
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

November 30, 2019, 02:48:31 PM
Reply #9

Mac934

I don't feel entitled. It's my choice to support Everton and past Glories do not give the right to present day.
On transfers, no I don't think the club should give details of proposed transfers.
For injuries, yes I think the club should give more updates when known, without going into to many details if necessary.
For other internal news, if it's relevant to the supporters, yes, if not, no leave it internal.

November 30, 2019, 03:00:24 PM
Reply #10

ally2

The club don't owe me anything and I don't expect them to give me a running commentary on anything (except occasional new stadium updates).

The latest manager speculation is a perfect example. If the club wants to make a comment about anything then fine but it's up to them. When I read stuff like 'the silence is deafening' etc it's just stupid.  If fans don't like it then they can lump it. I do have a general disdain for football fans and Everton fans though (which I know is also stupid as I'm on here).

November 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM
Reply #11

KoemansNumberTens

I don’t think they need to keep us informed. I think the problem we have is that we’ve little faith they are getting stuff right hence we feel we need reassurance that they are.

We are entitled to competence and if we got that we wouldn’t need to be constantly informed

November 30, 2019, 03:08:36 PM
Reply #12

Paddockoldie

My opinion is that having been through various eras following Everton in a city that breathes football, it's hard being a blue most of the time. I was lucky enough to have experience of the glory days and how great it felt. Then we were cruelly robbed of our chance to become one of the elites because at that time we were untouchable and our young team would have been around for some time. Due to hysel it ended. Now, as a dad, I want my sons to see our great club rise again but it feels like a dream beyond reach.. Am I entitled? No, I'm lucky. I think the entitled tag implies something negative and perhaps that's why some reacted to it. Being a blue is a life's sacrifice but one I would make in every life.. I'm an Evertonian

November 30, 2019, 06:37:32 PM
Reply #13

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
100% I used to feel more entitled as a season ticket holder compared to non season ticket holders or people who don't go the game that often, maybe it was more "I'm more of a fan than you, so my opinion counts for more".

As I've got older I've realised its complete bollocks and I actually have it quite easy. For example @Brownie may not go to as many games as me, but he has to wake up at 5am, travel for about 3 or 4 hours, spend a small fortune and basically write off a full day just so he can watch us, that's much more of a sacrifice than I make, it takes me 20 minutes to get the ground and doesn't really affect the rest of my day (apart from my mood).

As for knowing the ins and outs of the business, what do you think we pay £3 a month for  ;)
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

November 30, 2019, 06:40:08 PM
Reply #14

GrantyBoy78

I’d love to know the remit of the likes of Brands and DBB but I don’t feel it’s he club’s obligation to inform me.