February 21, 2020, 09:27:01 PM

Author Topic: Carlo’s Way  (Read 15596 times)

December 23, 2019, 10:42:35 PM
Reply #15

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
..sake.. did Steve Walsh ever get another job after us ?

This is why I believe we offered him a 4 1/2 year deal. The club knows NO manager is positioned to fix our financial/contractual mess in even 2 years' time. Brands will need to pull off several miracles to free up the funds we'll want or need.

But I had a thought that might help us...does anyone know if it's possible to say, split a player's wages when sold? Example, someone wants Gylfi but is only willing to pay 50k/week. Can we sell him and cover the other 50k/week for the rest of his contract? Not ideal, but it still frees up some much needed weekly wage capital.
Annoying some, pleasing others. Just being me, the GIF master.

December 23, 2019, 11:59:42 PM
Reply #16

Cereal Killer

..sake.. did Steve Walsh ever get another job after us ?

Nah we’re still paying him £60k a week as well.....

December 24, 2019, 12:02:34 AM
Reply #17

Martip

:headbang:
Nah we’re still paying him £60k a week as well.....

December 24, 2019, 12:16:45 AM
Reply #18

Macca77

There's a video of him taking training today, don't know if anyone knows this, but Carlo Ancelotti is our manager

December 24, 2019, 12:21:50 AM
Reply #19

Shogun

Administrator
There's a video of him taking training today, don't know if anyone knows this, but Carlo Ancelotti is our manager

1:15 looks like he's just seen Niasse for the first time
Finally found the thread where I said Deulofeu wasn't all that.

We will see in a few years where he is at. I'm betting he'll be at a worse club than Everton rather than at Barcelona.

Currently at Watford.

December 24, 2019, 12:30:14 AM
Reply #20

Thomas

Maximum respect for Carlo a superb acquisition but does anyone know what he is like at working with and developing and promoting young players?

December 24, 2019, 12:40:27 AM
Reply #21

Makis

If he wants to play 4-4-2, which would make sense more than 4-3-3 with the current squad I think with no additions and everybody fit and having read on how he likes to see the different roles the team would like something like this:

Pickford
Coleman - Holgate - Mina - Digne
Walcott - Schneiderlin - Gomes - Richarlison
DCL - Kean

He likes one of the full-backs to be defensive and Coleman is the most defensive one, unless he plays Holgate there and Keane comes in to CB. But as Ancelotti likes his CBs to be good with the ball I think Keane's time at the club might be short. He also likes one of the wide players to be a winger who stretches the opponent. At Napoli it was the right midfielder and Walcott is really the only option for that sort of role. He also likes a central midfield pairing where one is deep-lying playmaker and the other a box-to-box midfielder. I'm optimistic and assume Ancelotti gets his players back to their prime. Schneiderlin was good at Southampton and out of our midfielders he is the best positionally. I have no idea how well Gbami would play and I wouldn't be shocked if he was trained to play CB instead anyways. Gomes was brilliant as box-to-box midfielder before his move to Barcelona. Richarlison sounds almost ideal for Ancelotti's left midfielder. He wants that player to drift inside and look for shooting chances.

For his forward duo he likes one runner who wins the headers. DCL looks ideal for this. The other one is the poacher and Kean looks like a prime candidate. He also stated he rates Kean highly and tried to buy him to Napoli.

There are still places up for grabs. Central midfield has a player with an unknown return date and a player not exactly top of his game and there are several players vying for a spot there. I would also expect a signing to central midfield in January. Of course Ancelotti might also tweak his system to somehow fit two attacking fullbacks (i.e. Sidibe in for Coleman).

But the next months will be interesting. Players are playing for their future in the club. Some players always blossom when a new gaffer arrives while others fade. But what we should see is some template on how Ancelotti sees the team play going forward. This should also give an idea of what types of players the club will target in the summer. Until then even the positions are pure guesswork, never mind any names.

December 24, 2019, 12:42:18 AM
Reply #22

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
If he wants to play 4-4-2, which would make sense more than 4-3-3 with the current squad I think with no additions and everybody fit and having read on how he likes to see the different roles the team would like something like this:

Pickford
Coleman - Holgate - Mina - Digne
Walcott - Schneiderlin - Gomes - Richarlison
DCL - Kean

He likes one of the full-backs to be defensive and Coleman is the most defensive one, unless he plays Holgate there and Keane comes in to CB. But as Ancelotti likes his CBs to be good with the ball I think Keane's time at the club might be short. He also likes one of the wide players to be a winger who stretches the opponent. At Napoli it was the right midfielder and Walcott is really the only option for that sort of role. He also likes a central midfield pairing where one is deep-lying playmaker and the other a box-to-box midfielder. I'm optimistic and assume Ancelotti gets his players back to their prime. Schneiderlin was good at Southampton and out of our midfielders he is the best positionally. I have no idea how well Gbami would play and I wouldn't be shocked if he was trained to play CB instead anyways. Gomes was brilliant as box-to-box midfielder before his move to Barcelona. Richarlison sounds almost ideal for Ancelotti's left midfielder. He wants that player to drift inside and look for shooting chances.

For his forward duo he likes one runner who wins the headers. DCL looks ideal for this. The other one is the poacher and Kean looks like a prime candidate. He also stated he rates Kean highly and tried to buy him to Napoli.

There are still places up for grabs. Central midfield has a player with an unknown return date and a player not exactly top of his game and there are several players vying for a spot there. I would also expect a signing to central midfield in January. Of course Ancelotti might also tweak his system to somehow fit two attacking fullbacks (i.e. Sidibe in for Coleman).

But the next months will be interesting. Players are playing for their future in the club. Some players always blossom when a new gaffer arrives while others fade. But what we should see is some template on how Ancelotti sees the team play going forward. This should also give an idea of what types of players the club will target in the summer. Until then even the positions are pure guesswork, never mind any names.

Good write-up, but there's no way he starts Coleman over Sidibe. Also, if everyone's fit, Gbamin is playing instead of Schneiderlin.

December 24, 2019, 12:43:52 AM
Reply #23

Trowel

Plenty of passing drills - good good!
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

December 24, 2019, 12:45:53 AM
Reply #24

Shogun

Administrator
He's played differently everywhere he's gone so I've no idea what we can expect. I imagine the next six months will be quite different to what we see in the following season.
Finally found the thread where I said Deulofeu wasn't all that.

We will see in a few years where he is at. I'm betting he'll be at a worse club than Everton rather than at Barcelona.

Currently at Watford.

December 24, 2019, 12:50:28 AM
Reply #25

Trowel

December 24, 2019, 12:51:59 AM
Reply #26

Trowel

BTW, when googling for those links I came across these two superb articles about his history, tactical approach, and man management which deserve some space of their own.

https://footballchronicle.co/2019/10/16/how-carlo-ancelottis-playing-career-inspired-his-role-on-the-touchline/

https://leadersinsport.com/performance/coaching-and-development/carlo-ancelotti/

December 24, 2019, 12:54:36 AM
Reply #27

Thomas

Bit of a mixed bag at a glance, but may be more of a reflection of the immediate sucess expected of the clubs he was at.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/oct/22/carlo-ancelotti-chelsea-kakuta-borini
https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/real-madrid/news/ancelotti-committed-to-youth-development_112973.html
https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/ancelotti-at-napoli-we-have-a-project-we-invest-in-young-players-54373
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/gallery/revealed-which-managers-give-most-game-time-young-players

Tar lad. If he can get a few kids playing along with some experienced, stylish but also hard working pros that will get Goodison rocking.

I'd fucking love him to buy John McGinn or Grealish.

December 24, 2019, 12:56:55 AM
Reply #28

Makis

Good write-up, but there's no way he starts Coleman over Sidibe. Also, if everyone's fit, Gbamin is playing instead of Schneiderlin.
The problem with playing both Sidibe and DIgne is one really needs to be cover and neither is very capable of that. We don't have a central midfielder good enough to drop back either, IMO.

But of course he could use a totally different system. That's why the next few games will be extra interesting.

December 24, 2019, 01:10:51 AM
Reply #29

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
The problem with playing both Sidibe and DIgne is one really needs to be cover and neither is very capable of that. We don't have a central midfielder good enough to drop back either, IMO.

But of course he could use a totally different system. That's why the next few games will be extra interesting.

Yeah, that's where Gbamin comes in (for me). As a holding MF anyway, it'd be his job to cover for Sidibe when he presses forward. When I read about Carlo's tactical approach at Napoli (442 defending, 442 double 6/diamond whatever you want to call in attacking), he does use both FBs to attack, and the back 2 MFs cover where applicable. He also presses to a man as opposed to an entire team pressing. This allows the non-pressing players to focus on cutting off passing lanes. Granted this will also required those "interceptors" to have back up in case the pass does get by them. But I can easily see both Sidibe & Digne on the pitch at the same time.

I think many people get caught up in the "Sidibe is always out of position" nonsense when in fact he's doing what any good attack-minded FB does. We just don't have the MF support to provide cover effectively, and haven't all year. Sidibe leads the team in tackles & interceptions per game, btw.