February 24, 2020, 03:19:56 PM

Author Topic: Mason Holgate  (Read 10189 times)

December 27, 2019, 05:15:59 PM
Read 10189 times

MmmblueBernard

Class footballer. Improving every week. So composed and classy. Great carrying the ball out of defence. Hopefully he can further develop the battling/shithousery side of the CB role to complement the baller in him.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 27, 2019, 05:27:00 PM
Reply #1

sam of the south

I think he’s more suited to DM, personally.

I have really enjoyed see him doing well in that role.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 27, 2019, 05:33:15 PM
Reply #2

velimski

His versatility makes him a very useful player.

December 27, 2019, 05:49:46 PM
Reply #3

GrantyBoy78

Was literally just about to start this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

December 27, 2019, 05:56:18 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

Seems to have come of age in the past month.

If he can eradicate the rashness that peppers his game and also develop some more upper body strength he has the potential to be a top player.

December 27, 2019, 06:00:15 PM
Reply #5

velimski

It's good that he's getting a lot of game time. Means he can be judged properly.

It was all a bit of guesswork previously.

December 27, 2019, 06:04:42 PM
Reply #6

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He’s been so much better since going to his favored central role. I think as the most we had been seeing him in the past was at right back and out of position, he was judged on that. Been a revelation in midfield and at the back this season.

Looks very composed.

“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 27, 2019, 06:06:27 PM
Reply #7

74Blue

Seems to have come of age in the past month.

If he can eradicate the rashness that peppers his game and also develop some more upper body strength he has the potential to be a top player.
That's exactly what the club should be working with him on now, getting his upper body bulked up a little. With a little more upper body power, he has the potential to be an absolute beast. He's shown that he's decent on the ball and a lot of the little mistakes will drop away with experience. He jist needs that little bit more upper body strength now to enable him to properly bully centre forwards.

December 27, 2019, 06:09:54 PM
Reply #8

GrantyBoy78

Thought previous criticism saying he’s not good enough, was a bit harsh. He’s played under half a dozen managers, as RB, as CB in a 2 and a 3 - it’s hardly been an ideal situation for him. He’s still only played 30 odd senior games as CB (his best position), so he’ll undoubtedly get better.

Whether it’s as a CB or CM, his emergence could save us a lot of money.

December 27, 2019, 06:10:22 PM
Reply #9

KoemansNumberTens

Been brilliant this last few games. In fact all our defence have. Mina and Holgate are starting to look like a quality partnership and Sidibe has been brilliant. Hopefully there’s a lot more to come from Digne as he’s a bit below last seasons form.

December 27, 2019, 06:26:41 PM
Reply #10

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Amazing what a move away from a certain defensive concept does as well.

“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 27, 2019, 06:27:51 PM
Reply #11

Fynci

Been brilliant this last few games. In fact all our defence have. Mina and Holgate are starting to look like a quality partnership and Sidibe has been brilliant. Hopefully there’s a lot more to come from Digne as he’s a bit below last seasons form.

100% this. I bet nobody would have picked Pickford and Digne as being the weakest of the defensive bunch so far this season.

December 27, 2019, 06:29:08 PM
Reply #12

Toddacelli

May even keep Gbamin out when he's ready to come back.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 27, 2019, 06:58:58 PM
Reply #13

Toddacelli

Also, weirdly, he's become my favourite player to watch on the ball. Maybe just down to how far he's come but he is a real pleasure to watch these days.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 27, 2019, 07:14:34 PM
Reply #14

van der Meyde

Whether it’s as a CB or CM, his emergence could save us a lot of money.
100% on this.

Even if he doesn't save us on money, he's already being strongly linked with moves to other PL clubs for ~£15m. There's not unlimited money so either getting young lads into the first team or selling them on for dough is so important to us now.

On a broader point, less related to what Granty said, it's where we could probably all do with some patience (and in some cases better planning) with the young players we have.

The criticisms of Holgate, Davies, DCL, Kenny etc are all completely valid. There's plenty to iron out or improve before they're good enough for where we aspire to be. But I don't think any of them have ever particularly looked out of place in the PL (or the Bundesliga) either.

With each first team game they've played, Holgate, DCL and Kenny have started looking more and more the part. There's obviously some value in u23 football, but it's being wasted a little on the likes of Gordon and Gibson etc now. Time for them to start getting regular minutes against men now.