July 11, 2020, 10:35:03 AM

Author Topic: Fabian (Out of his) Delph  (Read 12993 times)

January 02, 2020, 07:17:23 PM
Reply #45

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Got a load of midfielders who arenít actually good at anything.

Whatís Gomes good at really?

Davies? Whatís are his strengths?

Sigurdsson?

Morgan?

Delph?

About two good attributes in there.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 02, 2020, 07:19:04 PM
Reply #46

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Nevermind Ross Barkley, Leon Osman would be our best midfielder by an absolute mile if he was in this team.

January 02, 2020, 07:19:37 PM
Reply #47

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
With that logic we would never be in a position to have an opinion of a player we just signed before he has proven us wrong. I may be wrong but its not ludicrous to be of an opinion. I for sure was not wrong about Niasse - but that guy I had seen play a lot of matches and failed to make an impact even in Norwegian leagues. When it comes to Gbamin I just rely on what I read about him and what he showed us in the first matches before he got injured (ofcourse a bit biased as reports I read made me sceptical and the void (Gana) he was supposed to replace was such an important asset). Still - I have an open mind to be proven wrong. I have never fancied DCL i.e but even I have to agree that he has developed. At the same time first impressions are hard to change, so still bit sceptical about DCL becoming a star striker for us in the years to come. But perception deceives - once I was sure that Danny Cadamarteri and Tony Grant gonna become stars. Opinions and feelings is a big part of being a fan I would say. Hope he comes back from injury and make you laugh at me mate.

You are mixing up having an opinion which you are entitled to and your opinion being clouded by mitigating factors. Itís a bit like going to the cinema to watch a film, seeing the opening credits and then having the power go off leaving you unable to watch the film and telling everyone itís a crap film.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

January 02, 2020, 07:20:36 PM
Reply #48

TrevorSteven

It was more meant as an observation that millions of pounds later and we still haven't improved on Barry - Barkley as a midfield.

Probably because Koeman, Allardyce and Silva was nowhere close to the ability of our last decent manager Mr. Martinez. ;)

January 02, 2020, 07:20:59 PM
Reply #49

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Wow, I read more good words about Gbamin than Gomes here.😳

I guess a lot of ppl still miss McFadden and Naismith too...

Naismith without a doubt. As a squad player heíd offer a lot

January 02, 2020, 07:24:24 PM
Reply #50

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Sigurdsson?

Morgan?

Delph?

Yes is an issue.

Specifically on Gomes in games like yesterday he is able to withstand pressure both physically and technically.

Obviously good at moving forward with the ball at feet.

The rest yes. Bits and bobs of quality aspects.

Weíve really struggled for top midfielders over the years.

Had attackers/ attacking players and defenders who have moved on to top level clubs but not so much in midfield.

Gueye and Arteta probably. Felli too but did as much as an attacker for us.

January 02, 2020, 07:24:30 PM
Reply #51

Macca77

Rodwell is available

January 02, 2020, 07:24:46 PM
Reply #52

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber

Sigurdsson?

Morgan?

Delph?

It's pretty grim when you think about our MF the way you've posed this. That said, I'm a fan of Gomes but there are probably an equal number of weeks that I curse his name. When he's on, I think he's excellent at imposing himself physically in the middle, typically very good at winning balls back and quickly making an intelligent pass that can counter an attack and spring the more creative types, and is a vicious tackler. When he's off, well, he's none of those things and can be good for 5-10 stupid fouls and probably a booking.

Still think that Gomes + Gbamin + an actually competent CM will be a very tidy MF for us.
Playing FM20 24/7.

January 02, 2020, 07:25:30 PM
Reply #53

Tinga

I think if you judge players based on performances against City away then you're supporting the wrong club, maybe come back in a few years if we're a better team. You'll have a better time.

January 02, 2020, 07:36:00 PM
Reply #54

TrevorSteven

You are mixing up having an opinion which you are entitled to and your opinion being clouded by mitigating factors. Itís a bit like going to the cinema to watch a film, seeing the opening credits and then having the power go off leaving you unable to watch the film and telling everyone itís a crap film.

Like your metaphor mister and do take your point. But still think that it is far more possible to be correct arguing that a young midfielder being decent at a pretty average side like FC Mainz will not manage to replicate the ability of Idrissa Gana Gueye than arguing that he will be a massive contributor for Evertons future success. I would also point out that with so many bad deals being made since Moshiri arrived at the club it makes it even more scary.

If I am not wrong Gueye was top 3 in Premier League when it comes to interceptions. Gbamin was 13th in Bundesliga which is not at the same level as Premier League. Gueye was small and could cover space - Gbamin is big, slower and more comfortable playing in or around defenders - actually he has played a lot as a Central Defender. For me it was just too many aspects that didnt make me like that signing. Its not just that "I got a feeling"...

January 02, 2020, 07:48:13 PM
Reply #55

TrevorSteven

Sigurdsson?

Morgan?

Delph?

Gomes - dictate the tempo and the play. When pressed he can ease it out getting the pace down. Creativity - when we win the ball Gomes can actually pass the ball and make the good runs from wingers be of any importance. He is fantastic with the ball in his feets. He can drible 1-3 players. For me Gomes is absolutely one of the best midfielders in PL and I think that former players, now being pundits is quite right about their admiration of him. We badly miss him. If Gomes is not good at anything I dont know what Arteta was good at either...

Davies - have no clue about his strengths. He is kind of decent at everything. Not sure if he ever will be the player people hope for. And as you said - what do they actually hope for?

Sigurdsson - dedication and work rate. Free-kicks and sometimes very short passes in high speed.

Morgan - funny that one. At Southampton he was like Idrissa Gueye. For us he has had one fantastic game - I think it was against United where he was absolutely everywhere. For me - a proof that you shouldnt buy failures at the biggest clubs.

Delph - composure.

Overall: Except Gomes none of the above has any creativity and even more worringly none of the above actually have any defensive skills either. You are making a good point The Ram.

January 02, 2020, 07:49:45 PM
Reply #56

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I think if you judge players based on performances against City away then you're supporting the wrong club, maybe come back in a few years if we're a better team. You'll have a better time.

Yes because theyíre all great otherwise.

January 02, 2020, 07:51:51 PM
Reply #57

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Like your metaphor mister and do take your point. But still think that it is far more possible to be correct arguing that a young midfielder being decent at a pretty average side like FC Mainz will not manage to replicate the ability of Idrissa Gana Gueye than arguing that he will be a massive contributor for Evertons future success. I would also point out that with so many bad deals being made since Moshiri arrived at the club it makes it even more scary.

If I am not wrong Gueye was top 3 in Premier League when it comes to interceptions. Gbamin was 13th in Bundesliga which is not at the same level as Premier League. Gueye was small and could cover space - Gbamin is big, slower and more comfortable playing in or around defenders - actually he has played a lot as a Central Defender. For me it was just too many aspects that didnt make me like that signing. Its not just that "I got a feeling"...

This is your (and others I've seen) problem. You're looking at Gbamin as a replacement for Gana as more than just a like-for-like positional one. Assuming JPG was simply going to be the next Gana is setting yourself up for disappointment. How many DMs of Gana's quality exist in the world? 5? 10 tops? None who cost £23m that's for sure. And Gbamin is 24; Gana is 30. Give it some time.

It's borderline impossible to compare JPG in Bundesliga vs Gana in the EPL. Different opponents, styles of play, etc. From a pure individual comparison perspective, Gbamin has historically produced about 2/3-3/4 of what Gana has.
Playing FM20 24/7.

January 02, 2020, 07:56:10 PM
Reply #58

Heisenberg

Gomes is decent for the level we are at now. Dictates tempo and doesnít hide, got his limitations but with a decent partner/set up could be great.

Davies is 21 and has a lot of potential. Very clever footballer I just donít think he has the skill to match it. Worked under some absolutely awful tactically inept managers. With the right coaching there could be a very good player in there. At this point he is good for back up and a sub, as he always attempts to be progressive with the ball.

Not a fan of any of the others

January 02, 2020, 08:02:30 PM
Reply #59

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber

Thatís assuming that JPG was bought as a direct replacement for Gueye and his style of play or to adapt to a different style. Obviously weíll never know now