February 21, 2020, 09:31:26 PM

Author Topic: Fabian (Out of his) Delph  (Read 8953 times)

January 02, 2020, 08:02:55 PM
Reply #60

sam of the south

Gomes - dictate the tempo and the play. When pressed he can ease it out getting the pace down. Creativity - when we win the ball Gomes can actually pass the ball and make the good runs from wingers be of any importance. He is fantastic with the ball in his feets. He can drible 1-3 players. For me Gomes is absolutely one of the best midfielders in PL and I think that former players, now being pundits is quite right about their admiration of him. We badly miss him. If Gomes is not good at anything I dont know what Arteta was good at either...

Davies - have no clue about his strengths. He is kind of decent at everything. Not sure if he ever will be the player people hope for. And as you said - what do they actually hope for?

Sigurdsson - dedication and work rate. Free-kicks and sometimes very short passes in high speed.

Morgan - funny that one. At Southampton he was like Idrissa Gueye. For us he has had one fantastic game - I think it was against United where he was absolutely everywhere. For me - a proof that you shouldnt buy failures at the biggest clubs.

Delph - composure.

Overall: Except Gomes none of the above has any creativity and even more worringly none of the above actually have any defensive skills either. You are making a good point The Ram.

You should change your name to The Gomes and have a Streisland-Robert Smith style battle with @TheSig
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

January 02, 2020, 08:27:10 PM
Reply #61

TrevorSteven

This is your (and others I've seen) problem. You're looking at Gbamin as a replacement for Gana as more than just a like-for-like positional one. Assuming JPG was simply going to be the next Gana is setting yourself up for disappointment. How many DMs of Gana's quality exist in the world? 5? 10 tops? None who cost 23m that's for sure. And Gbamin is 24; Gana is 30. Give it some time.

It's borderline impossible to compare JPG in Bundesliga vs Gana in the EPL. Different opponents, styles of play, etc. From a pure individual comparison perspective, Gbamin has historically produced about 2/3-3/4 of what Gana has.

I dont disagree with you but thats what made my summer so bad. We lost the most important player for keeping balance within a squad totally lacking of defenders that can cope with pressure and we failed to replace him. Just like we failed to replace Lukaku. We knew or at the very least the club knew that Gueye was gonna go already in january, so ending up with Gbamin/Delph to cover for the loss was not good enough. Ofcourse I understand that Gbamin would never come in and be as good as Gueye but still the club bought him for being that. That was a misjudgement and maybe my misjudgement gonna be that I dont believe he is gonna be as good as Delph, Morgan or Davies either. That was my next worry. Now the worry is that he just gonna be injured for so long that he never ever actually gonna play for us. If he is not I still gonna stand for my prediction that the fellow never gonna be better than Davies or Morgan either.

If you are right about the impossibility of replacing Gueye (man for man) we should much rather have gone for someone like Tielesman or Praet, but as we all know the stubborn Silva was never gonna change his approach and he for sure tried to replace Gueye with the likes of Delph and Gbamin. You may also be right about the conditions for a new man to suddenly find himself on the pitch at Selhurst Park but I do remember when Gueye came to the club and nobody believed in him. He also arrived just two weeks before his debut, nobody regarded him one of the best players in his position but he did have experience from the PL. What Gbamin showed at Selhurst Park was close to tragedy and at best showed signs of a player that needs a long time to adapt - time we didnt have. No, he is injured and still in need of adapting. For me - already a bad signing.

January 02, 2020, 08:33:22 PM
Reply #62

TrevorSteven

Thats assuming that JPG was bought as a direct replacement for Gueye and his style of play or to adapt to a different style. Obviously well never know now

Well, wasnt he bought as a replacement? Silva himself stated it...

January 02, 2020, 08:36:59 PM
Reply #63

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Well, wasnt he bought as a replacement? Silva himself stated it...

In the team yes.

Not necessarily as that specific role where Gueye buzzed everywhere.

January 02, 2020, 08:53:02 PM
Reply #64

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm just going to ignore any Gomes conversations now, but we aren't going to see him til next season and even then are we going to get him back at his already average level? Probably not.

Be sensible for once, move on, replace, be pleased if he's able to contribute meaningfully in the future.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:17:39 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 02, 2020, 09:07:46 PM
Reply #65

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

I for one can’t wait to see Gomes back in our midfield. I think he’s a great player myself - and our team is screaming out for a bit of calm and control in the centre. Speedy recovery Andre (and Gbamin).

January 02, 2020, 09:36:07 PM
Reply #66

GrantyBoy78

I'm just going to ignore any Gomes conversations now, but we aren't going to see him til next season and even then are we going to get him back at his already average level? Probably not.

Be sensible for once, move on, replace, be pleased if he's able to contribute meaningfully in the future.
Agree. Itll be interesting to see if we bring in a loan CM in January, or someone permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

January 02, 2020, 10:28:49 PM
Reply #67

TrevorSteven

In the team yes.

Not necessarily as that specific role where Gueye buzzed everywhere.

Its fair to criticise me, Its fair to say I have ridicolous opinons but to say that Gbamin was bought for the first team and not to replace Gana and his defensive position in the midfield is purely denying any discussions at all. If Thats where we are - we kind of did replace Lukaku too with i.e Gylfi Sigurdsson. And in an amateur way we actually did. I remember the club talking about replacing Lukaku with hundreds of players that together could replace Lukakus goals. One player out - four players in. Gbamin was without discussion bought to fill the void left after Ganas departure. Cant even understand we are actually discussing that. An it was a downgrade. Where Yankeeblue is correct is that Gana was unreplaceable for Everton, just like Lukaku was. I would never expect a replacement as good as Gana, but I did expect better than Gbamin. Klopp actually once wanted the fellow, but dropped out as he wanted him as a defender and Gbamin wants to play midfield (if to believe rumours)

January 02, 2020, 10:32:07 PM
Reply #68

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Its fair to criticise me, Its fair to say I have ridicolous opinons but to say that Gbamin was bought for the first team and not to replace Gana and his defensive position in the midfield is purely denying any discussions at all. If Thats where we are - we kind of did replace Lukaku too with i.e Gylfi Sigurdsson. And in an amateur way we actually did. I remember the club talking about replacing Lukaku with hundreds of players that together could replace Lukakus goals. One player out - four players in. Gbamin was without discussion bought to fill the void left after Ganas departure. Cant even understand we are actually discussing that. An it was a downgrade. Where Yankeeblue is correct is that Gana was unreplaceable for Everton, just like Lukaku was. I would never expect a replacement as good as Gana, but I did expect better than Gbamin. Klopp actually once wanted the fellow, but dropped out as he wanted him as a defender and Gbamin wants to play midfield (if to believe rumours)

In this circular argument you persist in going round & round on...who do you think we could have gotten to actually replace Gana, from a DM position AND Gana-level skill set?
Annoying some, pleasing others. Just being me, the GIF master.

January 02, 2020, 10:54:53 PM
Reply #69

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber

What Im trying to say is, if there was no one who could directly replace Gana Gueye like for like then the person brought in might have been a different type of DM to play a different type of game - surely you see that is a feasible argument? More of a ball playing DM?
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

January 02, 2020, 10:59:24 PM
Reply #70

TrevorSteven

In this circular argument you persist in going round & round on...who do you think we could have gotten to actually replace Gana, from a DM position AND Gana-level skill set?

Thats probably the nicest thing with being a fan and not a DOF or manager - I have no idea of who we could have attracted, but someone better than Gbamin for sure - but as it has played out now, making us having NO alternatives in that deep lying midfielder role I would rather have had those two Leicester players I mentioned i.e. My point was only that I never believed in Gbamin and still dont...and that I hope Im wrong. None of our midfielders have the capacity to cover space in front of defenders. Tom Davies and Gylfi is suffering from this as they are way to slow and defensively not good enough to help defenders. They look much worse than what they actually are.

Lets cross fingers for Ancelotti doing some magic here.

January 02, 2020, 11:09:18 PM
Reply #71

TrevorSteven

What Im trying to say is, if there was no one who could directly replace Gana Gueye like for like then the person brought in might have been a different type of DM to play a different type of game - surely you see that is a feasible argument? More of a ball playing DM?

Yes, I absolutely do and I still do think that i.e Youri Tielesman would have fit that bill better than Gbamin which I guess most people would agree was quite a gamble. And I do understand that a new player from a different league must use time to settle but Gbamin is more of a defender than i.e  a deep lying playmaker. And Silvas intention was not to change the system, his intention with the signing was to leave Gbamin to the defensive duties giving Gomes the freedom to be more active in attack - just like what Gana did. Silva categoricaly called Gbamin a typical number 6, Klopp called him a typical number 5 we have until now just experienced him as a typical injured player.

If Silva had managed to pull through that transfer of Doucoure we would have managed better with the loss of Gueye btw and he wouldnt have been the same kind of gamble.

January 02, 2020, 11:19:22 PM
Reply #72

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Haha this is bananas.

January 02, 2020, 11:45:58 PM
Reply #73

Bluedylan

Don't mind Delph, Decent squad option and utility player. Quite effective when he's used in a smart way, like changing the game at Newcastle. Not good enough to be our first choice midfielder though. We need better first choice midfielders, so the likes of Delph can do his job as a squad player but that's not Delph's fault.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 02, 2020, 11:55:02 PM
Reply #74

Shogun

Administrator
Don't mind Delph, Decent squad option and utility player. Quite effective when he's used in a smart way, like changing the game at Newcastle. Not good enough to be our first choice midfielder though. We need better first choice midfielders, so the likes of Delph can do his job as a squad player but that's not Delph's fault.

Is there any point in having a squad player like him that is fit probably half of the time?
Finally found the thread where I said Deulofeu wasn't all that.

We will see in a few years where he is at. I'm betting he'll be at a worse club than Everton rather than at Barcelona.

Currently at Watford.