February 24, 2020, 03:21:48 PM

Author Topic: speedomick  (Read 4575 times)

February 11, 2020, 03:54:07 PM
Reply #45

Cods

Is he immune to cold? 
How does he do it, avoiding hypothermia?

February 11, 2020, 03:57:54 PM
Reply #46

Lxxx

Is he immune to cold? 
How does he do it, avoiding hypothermia?

Breathing.

February 11, 2020, 04:15:37 PM
Reply #47

Macca77

February 11, 2020, 05:26:26 PM
Reply #48

Cods

Breathing.
Not sure I get you.
By continuing breathing, hes not dying?

February 11, 2020, 05:43:07 PM
Reply #49

Lxxx

Not sure I get you.
By continuing breathing, he’s not dying?

I actually didn't mean to be flippant I was in a rush.

If you focus your mind on your breathing your body doesn't react to the cold. If your mind wanders you then start to feel it.

Not to bore anyone but... I do 20 minutes of breathing exercises in the morning followed by a spell in an ice freezer three times a week. First time you do it it's horrendous and you want to get out but once you train your mind to focus on your breathing you don't feel the cold weirdly enough and the increased oxygen feels warm running through your veins. We do it with people who have mental health issues to get them off medication and it helps them to quieten the mind as you can't stress about life's pressures when you're so focused on trying not to freeze to death and then they can take it into day to day life. It's based on Wim Hof (Google him). I'm working up to going to his retreat in Poland and climbing the mountain in freezing temperatures in just shorts and boots. No idea why, must be mad.

Anyway, I'm not saying that's what Speedomick does but he'll have trained himself to block out day to day thoughts and get in the zone by focusing on his breathing.   

February 11, 2020, 05:46:57 PM
Reply #50

Cods

If you focus your mind on your breathing your body doesn't react to the cold. If your mind wanders you then start to feel it.

Not to bore anyone but... I do 20 minutes of breathing exercises in the morning followed by a spell in an ice freezer three times a week. First time you do it it's horrendous and you want to get out but once you train your mind to focus on your breathing you don't feel the cold weirdly enough and the increased oxygen feels warm running through your veins. We do it with people who have mental health issues to get them off medication and it helps them to quieten the mind as you can't stress about life's pressures when you're so focused on trying not to freeze to death and then they can take it into day to day life. It's based on Wim Hof (Google him). I'm working up to going to his retreat in Poland and climbing the mountain in freezing temperatures in just shorts and boots. No idea why, must be mad.

Anyway, I'm not saying that's what Speedomick does but he'll have trained himself to block out day to day thoughts and get in the zone by focusing on his breathing.   
Not at all, and really appreciate the explanation.

February 11, 2020, 05:47:22 PM
Reply #51

formerKHL

mate my respect for you has just gone skyward......

February 13, 2020, 03:33:07 AM
Reply #52

Macca77

Raised over 200K now, the man is an absolute legend

February 13, 2020, 03:02:03 PM
Reply #53

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber

Very interesting! Good article on the effects of Cold water swimming just a couple of days ago on the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51426998

February 13, 2020, 03:37:57 PM
Reply #54

Waltzer

Very interesting! Good article on the effects of Cold water swimming just a couple of days ago on the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51426998

That's not cold water swimming, this is, although he looked like he was about to die at the end.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-51212433

February 21, 2020, 12:36:30 AM
Reply #55

Bigstickytoffee

Had the opportunity to meet Mick today, lovely guy who was clearly feeling the cold and tiredness, but still upbeat and on his game!
2 days and about 12k to go now! Keep it going mate, I hope the hot chocolate helped!!!!

February 21, 2020, 01:58:23 AM
Reply #56

Alanvideo

We are special ,we are Everton.

February 21, 2020, 02:05:32 AM
Reply #57

Simon Paul

Administrator
Had the opportunity to meet Mick today, lovely guy who was clearly feeling the cold and tiredness, but still upbeat and on his game!
2 days and about 12k to go now! Keep it going mate, I hope the hot chocolate helped!!!!

you live in Truro?

February 21, 2020, 02:14:05 AM
Reply #58

Bigstickytoffee

you live in Truro?

Pretty much, Probus if you know the area, his route caught the bottom of my village. My wife passed him coming into the city, he was getting a lot of attention and money from the commuters. Great thinking to enter town in rush hour!!!

February 21, 2020, 02:17:43 AM
Reply #59

Simon Paul

Administrator
Pretty much, Probus if you know the area, his route caught the bottom of my village. My wife passed him coming into the city, he was getting a lot of attention and money from the commuters. Great thinking to enter town in rush hour!!!

I lived in Cornwall for a good while mate, yeah.  Stayed with a friend in Salem on the way from Truro to Redruth for a while before I moved back up here.  Used to DJ in Cafe Korova (closed before I left) and in Enjoy Clothing as well as what was once called The Lido but then changed to something I can't remember.  L2 was a rare treat when we weren't at the Twilight Zone or at The Berkley.