February 24, 2020, 02:36:06 PM

Poll

I'll be happy if we finish

Top half table - we've still got a lot of work to do
Top 6 / Europe - we're too close now
Top 4 / Champions League - dude, 5 pts

Author Topic: What is the minimum outcome you expect this season now?  (Read 4463 times)

February 14, 2020, 11:41:00 PM
Reply #75

Simon Paul

Administrator
Expect us to qualify for the Madrid fashion show at the very least

February 15, 2020, 12:59:05 AM
Reply #76

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
As enjoyable as things have been under Carlo, I just don't think we've done enough to suggest that we can expect Europe.

We've beaten Burnley, Watford, Brighton and Newcastle and drew with Newcastle and West Ham in terms of the points we've won under him which is great but I won't be at all convinced we're capable of Europe until we do literally anything against the sides above us (around us), starting with Arsenal next week.

You know, sometimes you suck with your stupid voice of reason and shite.

:snigger:
Annoying some, pleasing others. Just being me, the GIF master.

February 18, 2020, 05:07:40 PM
Reply #77

pjk

NSNO Subscriber
As enjoyable as things have been under Carlo, I just don't think we've done enough to suggest that we can expect Europe.

We've beaten Burnley, Watford, Brighton and Newcastle and drew with Newcastle and West Ham in terms of the points we've won under him which is great but I won't be at all convinced we're capable of Europe until we do literally anything against the sides above us (around us), starting with Arsenal next week.

This is the realistic fact, of where we are ATM. No garlands and decorations, just as it is. We have missed a lot of players over the past 6 months or so, that can be factored in, as to whether we can improve against tougher opposition. We have to play the teams around us and above. That should tell us if Europe is realistic? Personally! I need a bit more solid proof we're going to come up with the goods. Europe would improve our chances of signing better players though. Good post BTW.
As Tacitus said: "To plunder, butcher, steal, these things they misname empire: they make a desolation and they call it peace."

February 18, 2020, 09:41:06 PM
Reply #78

Lxxx

It's going to take a huge effort to get into Europe, even via the Europa League and not the dream that is the Champions League.

Last night has pulled Chelsea back into the pack but we still have some massively tough games coming up, playing all the teams around us, so it's in our hands as long as we don't lose a few.

February 18, 2020, 10:33:54 PM
Reply #79

Alanvideo

It's going to take a huge effort to get into Europe, even via the Europa League and not the dream that is the Champions League.

Last night has pulled Chelsea back into the pack but we still have some massively tough games coming up, playing all the teams around us, so it's in our hands as long as we don't lose a few.
...................its a double edged sword though .One the one hand we want Europe for recognition of our club and to help attract better players.  It goes without saying our fans love a European tour.
On the other hand we're nowhere near ready and it could badly affect our league form next season.
I want us to get into Europe asap but missing out this time could be a blessing in disguise. 
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 18, 2020, 11:10:46 PM
Reply #80

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
...................its a double edged sword though .One the one hand we want Europe for recognition of our club and to help attract better players.  It goes without saying our fans love a European tour.
On the other hand we're nowhere near ready and it could badly affect our league form next season.
I want us to get into Europe asap but missing out this time could be a blessing in disguise.

I completely disagree re: the latter. There are loads of reasons why, but I think the whole "we're not ready" is an unfounded concern. Without even going into them, the revenue increase alone makes it worthwhile, and you already noted the single most important one: a Club playing in Europe on the verge of doing great things is the best recruitment tool we'd have.

February 18, 2020, 11:15:53 PM
Reply #81

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I completely disagree re: the latter. There are loads of reasons why, but I think the whole "we're not ready" is an unfounded concern. Without even going into them, the revenue increase alone makes it worthwhile, and you already noted the single most important one: a Club playing in Europe on the verge of doing great things is the best recruitment tool we'd have.

Not sure the revenue argument is a valid one, by all accounts it barely covers the travel costs untill you get to the latter stages.

February 18, 2020, 11:17:13 PM
Reply #82

Lxxx

>Looks for the head banging against a wall gif<

February 18, 2020, 11:21:57 PM
Reply #83

Alanvideo

....................if we win 3 out of our next 4 games I could change my mind on the 'not ready' thing .   lolol
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 18, 2020, 11:25:20 PM
Reply #84

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure the revenue argument is a valid one, by all accounts it barely covers the travel costs untill you get to the latter stages.

Honestly, that's not true at all. The travel costs are erased by the increased home games & revenue tied to them, increased TV exposure, and increased merch sales. Keep in mind you're not sending your entire team to the away fixtures until if & when you get to the knockout stage.

February 18, 2020, 11:32:38 PM
Reply #85

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Honestly, that's not true at all. The travel costs are erased by the increased home games & revenue tied to them, increased TV exposure, and increased merch sales. Keep in mind you're not sending your entire team to the away fixtures until if & when you get to the knockout stage.

Home game tickets are heavily discounted, the odd televised game is peanuts compared to CL on Sky, Iíve been on the European tour and the only increase in merchandise sale is the same Scouse spivs in every European centre flogging fraud half and half scarves as souvenirs, saw the same guys in Wolfsburg, Basel, Bern, Lille with their hold all full of them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:39:56 PM by Escla »

February 18, 2020, 11:33:52 PM
Reply #86

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Home game tickets are heavily discounted, the odd Channel four televised game is peanuts compared to CL on Sky, Iíve been on the European tour and the only increase in merchandise sale is the same Scouse spivs in every European centre flogging fraud half and half scarves as souvenirs, saw the same guys in Wolfsburg, Basel, Bern, Lille with their hold all full of them.

Your concerns have been noted and logged. :D

February 18, 2020, 11:39:09 PM
Reply #87

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Your concerns have been noted and logged. :D
Not a concern at all mate, just stating the facts.

February 18, 2020, 11:40:22 PM
Reply #88

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Your're definitely wide of the mark you know @YankeeBlue214 .
The Europa league has near no commercial benefit unless you win the thing really.
It also tends to cost you money as you end up dropping a few league places as you're fucked from a season starting in July.

We, 100%, do not have the squad depth to deal with either European competition next year. Not without seriously considering offering new contracts to people like Niasse & the like.

So, when you add it all up and look objectively at whether we should play in Europe, the only sane answer is of fucking course we should because we want to play in Europe.

February 18, 2020, 11:46:11 PM
Reply #89

Dr. Sponge

Son out for a while with a broken arm. Our chances of europe boosted again.