July 15, 2020, 03:01:21 AM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 3917 times)

March 06, 2020, 01:59:10 AM
Reply #30

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Is he the best left back in the club's history?

My dad says Ray Wilson was world class in the 60s. Only played for us for about 4 years though.

Pat van den Hauwe a different type of full back of course.

Baines seems like he could play for any team though so right up there for me.

March 06, 2020, 02:19:33 AM
Reply #31

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
He's know terry phelan but he's to there
Is he the best left back in the club's history?
Simply simply lovely

March 06, 2020, 03:37:56 AM
Reply #32

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I kind of feel that Baines must be the most under appreciated player of his generation by fans outside of the club he plays for.

You have to think that if he'd played for Man U or Arsenal etc he'd be viewed in much higher regard.

He was an elite level player, and even now he still has that special something about him that he always possessed.

I hope he sticks around for another year, he's the last one of a team that you genuinely felt loved and played for the club, in another time surrounded by better players those players would have won the trophies they deserved
Not so sure. Remember Dennis Irwin for Utd? He was very much undersung as well. Have lots of similarities Baines and him.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

March 06, 2020, 03:39:56 AM
Reply #33

ajax_andy

Not so sure. Remember Dennis Irwin for Utd? He was very much undersung as well. Have lots of similarities Baines and him.

I always rated him so hadn't realised the was under rated by and large, was an absolutely cracking player!

March 06, 2020, 04:17:23 AM
Reply #34

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He's the best left back we've ever had and I'm putting it out there, the best left back in the premier league era for any club and I include Ashley Cole in that

Sent from my ELE-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

March 06, 2020, 04:17:49 AM
Reply #35

Craig_1878

We are lucky to have him. He was 100% good enough to play at the very top and he chose to stay loyal to his club.

If there is one player who you could point to as the ideal Everton player then its him.

Class, style and dignity.
"Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"- Alan Partridge

March 06, 2020, 04:22:40 AM
Reply #36

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Hard to say, in modern times 100% though.  Although I'm thinking back to Pistone and Nuno Valente as alternatives 🤣

Definitely better than Michael Ball going back further.

I guess.maybe Andy Hinchcliffe would be the one competing for that crown but although I started supporting us in 86 I was only 6, so other than him having an amazing wand of a left foot I can't remember enough to compare properly

Nuno valente was a sound player
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

March 06, 2020, 04:43:43 AM
Reply #37

Undisputed_blue

Hopefully, Baines will get an extension to his contract. Have played well in his cameo appearances.

March 06, 2020, 05:48:06 AM
Reply #38

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I think Ray Wilson was a full back ahead of his time but it would be impossible to compare as, unless you went to every game, there was no other way to see him. Being a World Cup winner is a bit of a statement though!

Other than Wilson, I would be confident to say that no other Everton left back, including psycho Pat, gets near to Baines.

Very few from any British club come close. Iíd push that even further and include Europe. In his prime he was irresistible.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

March 06, 2020, 07:05:33 AM
Reply #39

arteta4spain

A supreme Rolls Royce of a player. Used to always get arteta on the back of my shirt but Iíve had Baines on there for quite a while and even when he retires/ leaves Iíll still have him on the back. Best left back weíve had in the premier league era but ever? The only thing thatís eluded him is trophies and itís criminal that heís never won one with us same as Jags and Cahill. Those three wore that shirt and it meant something.
The fact heís a Scouser though just makes it so much better when it comes to Baines. Iíll be gutted when he goes.

March 06, 2020, 07:48:05 AM
Reply #40

kramer0

He's the best left back we've ever had and I'm putting it out there, the best left back in the premier league era for any club and I include Ashley Cole in that

Sent from my ELE-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

That's an interesting one.

Does anyone else even get their name into that conversation?

March 06, 2020, 08:58:32 AM
Reply #41

Undisputed_blue

Roberto Martinez did say once Baines could play a Philipp Lahm type role in centre midfield. Shames it hasn't happened. It would be interesting to see how he'd fared.

March 06, 2020, 01:02:19 PM
Reply #42

ajax_andy

Nuno valente was a sound player

Yeah tbf I'm doing him a disservice there... Just wasn't on Baines' level, but then again no on is.

March 06, 2020, 01:09:07 PM
Reply #43

ajax_andy

That's an interesting one.

Does anyone else even get their name into that conversation?

Stuart Pearce
Dennis Irwin
Nigel Winterburn

Can't think of anyone else in the premier league era.

Baines was a different beast in terms of being a more modern full back, but the names on that list were all top class too

March 06, 2020, 04:04:02 PM
Reply #44

Hesmenos

I kind of feel that Baines must be the most under appreciated player of his generation by fans outside of the club he plays for.

You have to think that if he'd played for Man U or Arsenal etc he'd be viewed in much higher regard.

He was an elite level player, and even now he still has that special something about him that he always possessed.

I hope he sticks around for another year, he's the last one of a team that you genuinely felt loved and played for the club, in another time surrounded by better players those players would have won the trophies they deserved
I remember arguing with an Arsenal fan about Baines playing in the 2014 World Cup. He insisted that Kieran Gibbs and Luke Shaw should be ahead of him because they had a much better attacking threat. I told him that Baines had more goals and assists in that one season than Gibbs and Shaw had in their entire careers but he wouldn't believe me. 6 years later and it's probably still true.