July 15, 2020, 03:12:18 AM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 3918 times)

March 06, 2020, 04:04:22 PM
Reply #45

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Roberto Martinez did say once Baines could play a Philipp Lahm type role in centre midfield. Shames it hasn't happened. It would be interesting to see how he'd fared.

Roberto Martinez was also a strange little man.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

March 06, 2020, 04:07:18 PM
Reply #46

Hesmenos

Stuart Pearce
Dennis Irwin
Nigel Winterburn

Can't think of anyone else in the premier league era.

Baines was a different beast in terms of being a more modern full back, but the names on that list were all top class too
Patrice Evra?

March 06, 2020, 05:14:53 PM
Reply #47

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I remember on match of the day a while back, Luke Shaw, recently signed by Man U at the time going on a bit of a rampaging run down that left flank. Pundits were creaming themselves over it and one of them said something along the lines of England not having anyone in that position who can do that. Made me chuckle as we had seen Baines doing that for a full decade, the whole game plan for years being get it to that left flank

Also after the decline of Ashley Cole, when Baines was first choice left back for England, another discussion on his left back birth for country being under threat. Kieran Gibbs and Luke Shaw I think it was who were touted as the ones to steal his Jersey and we dug out the excellent stat that the season before Baines had racked up more assists on his own than the 2 pretenders to the throne had in their entire careers combined

Criminally underrated by everyone outside the club. Fantastic player, sound fella, Met him a couple of times through work and he was always sound as fuck. Modest, stylish, scorer of great goals, scouser. Just all round fucking boss. The away free kick at Newcastle, the 2 in 1 game away at West Ham. The last minute one away at Chelsea, even that last minute one against Leicester this season were all glorious moments. When we had those 3 derbies in a week or so in 09 is when you realised he was actually a great defender as well as a great player with the ball at his feet. I remember him defending like a total monster.

He's still got the quality as well. Happy for him to be given a life contract to be honest. Absolutely love the lad to pieces. He's an icon  he oozes class and on the pitch he's always had all the values you want in an Everton Player. Viva La Baines

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

March 06, 2020, 05:32:58 PM
Reply #48

Gash

Global Moderator
I remember being on holiday listen to us play Man Utd on the radio and the commentator said about Shaw being the best attacking left back in the country, I laughed, he wasn't even the best attacking left back on the pitch.

Still think it's a joke that Warnock went to the World Cup instead of him.

March 06, 2020, 05:39:42 PM
Reply #49

Macca77

Would of won a lot more England caps if he played for one of the bigger boys

March 06, 2020, 05:49:34 PM
Reply #50

Lxxx

Indeed he was.

The footballing romantic in me hoped it might be true and I might see it one day though.

Baines and Gomes lining up in centre midfield at Goodison just once would be a joy.

March 06, 2020, 06:36:44 PM
Reply #51

ajax_andy

Patrice Evra?

Yeah tbf I nearly put him in and then decided against it, but that was harsh... He was a top player!

March 06, 2020, 06:36:50 PM
Reply #52

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I remember being on holiday listen to us play Man Utd on the radio and the commentator said about Shaw being the best attacking left back in the country, I laughed, he wasn't even the best attacking left back on the pitch.

Still think it's a joke that Warnock went to the World Cup instead of him.

Gerrard wanted someone to carry his luggage.

March 06, 2020, 07:50:25 PM
Reply #53

Undisputed_blue

I tend to view him as a football romantic.

March 07, 2020, 12:14:45 AM
Reply #54

Shogun

Administrator
Naughtiest left back in town imo
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

March 07, 2020, 05:53:11 PM
Reply #55

IPCannock

NSNO Subscriber
Absolute phenomenal player and servant. As said above, should have got more caps but the combination of not being at one of the regular CL clubs and being the same generation as Ashley Cole, who was a terrific full back in fairness put paid to that.

Didn't do him any harm mind.

June 03, 2020, 11:23:39 PM
Reply #56

Macca77

Been offered a one year deal

June 03, 2020, 11:56:04 PM
Reply #57

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
This is what I needed. Inject it into my veins.

June 04, 2020, 12:31:32 AM
Reply #58

Waltzer

Would of won a lot more England caps if he played for one of the bigger boys
Don't think he would, just unfortunate he was up against arguably the best left back in world football for most of his career

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

June 04, 2020, 12:36:11 AM
Reply #59

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Don't think he would, just unfortunate he was up against arguably the best left back in world football for most of his career

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

He should have had more tbf, but I totally agree that Ashley Cole was an outstanding fullback and rightly bagged himself a shitload of international appearances.