April 09, 2020, 06:24:33 PM

Author Topic: Is this how the football bubble bursts?  (Read 605 times)

March 19, 2020, 01:55:28 AM
Read 605 times

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
This virus is going to ruin a lot of people.  Savings wiped out, jobs gone, houses repossessed.

Even if life did eventually resume, I'm not sure I could stomach watching someone get paid £150k per week to play football.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:02:43 AM by Shogun »

March 19, 2020, 02:00:17 AM
Reply #1

The Analog Kid

NSNO Subscriber
This virus is going to ruin a lot of people.  Savings wiped out, jobs gone, houses repossessed.

Even if life did eventually resume, I'm not sure I could stomach watching someone get paid £150k per week to play football.
I'm not sure houses are going to be repossessed if the government are offering freezes on mortgages and rents.

Hopefully people can get pay freezes on their bills too meaning they may not have to use too much saved cash

March 19, 2020, 02:07:55 AM
Reply #2

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not sure houses are going to be repossessed if the government are offering freezes on mortgages and rents.

Hopefully people can get pay freezes on their bills too meaning they may not have to use too much saved cash

3 month freezes on mortgages are only any good if youre able to get a new job within that time frame though.

March 19, 2020, 02:10:03 AM
Reply #3

The Analog Kid

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah the job one is a bit of a sticking point
3 month freezes on mortgages are only any good if youre able to get a new job within that time frame though.

March 19, 2020, 02:10:26 AM
Reply #4

velimski

Not sure. Not like we don't have huge disparity in wealth in the world already.

March 19, 2020, 03:59:31 AM
Reply #5

Gash

Global Moderator
Hearts asking players to take a 50% pay cut. Going to see a lot more of this over the coming week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51953399

EFL freeing up money for clubs as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51951389

April 03, 2020, 03:20:13 PM
Reply #6

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Hearts asking players to take a 50% pay cut. Going to see a lot more of this over the coming week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51953399

EFL freeing up money for clubs as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51951389

Imagine if Kevin De Bruyne had to take a 50% pay cut, how would he manage on £175,000 a week, something has to happen this week, itís obscene that Daniel Levy furloughs his grounds staff, programme sellers and turnstile staff and gets the taxpayer to cover the cost whilst he picks up £7 million a year !

April 03, 2020, 04:07:10 PM
Reply #7

Gash

Global Moderator
Imagine if Kevin De Bruyne had to take a 50% pay cut, how would he manage on £175,000 a week, something has to happen this week, itís obscene that Daniel Levy furloughs his grounds staff, programme sellers and turnstile staff and gets the taxpayer to cover the cost whilst he picks up £7 million a year !

I think it's a disgrace what they've done but then if you put your money on which chairmen would use the furlough system then Levy and Ashley would be at the top of it. For a club like Spurs who had a near half billion turnover and something like £60m profit on their last accounts to use government funds to cut staff salaries while still paying an average £70k a week to players is completely wrong. It's an abuse of the system that's there to protect companies who might have to lay some or all of their staff off, there's no justification in a Premier League club using it while still paying huge salaries to other staff. It's made worse by the fact that it doesn't even appear that they're going to "top up" the staff wages by 20% so that they don't lose anything.

It needs sorted but it's a difficult one, even in the Premier League there's huge differences in finances. I still don't agree with it but I can understand why Bournemouth and Norwich have done it, they don't have the huge income but will still have fairly high player salaries, so a lot of clubs will still have a high burn rate. It probably shows how much "hand to mouth" some of them are still living despite the huge TV money but a lack of gate receipts for a few weeks shouldn't make a huge difference to the likes of Bournemouth.

It's doubtful once the games start again but it could be a watershed moment for the Premier League and few of their clubs. It proves that they've totally lost touch with the average fan and member of staff.