August 11, 2020, 01:10:04 AM

Author Topic: Allan  (Read 12928 times)

July 04, 2020, 08:34:02 PM
Reply #30

ForzaItalia

Gareth Barry did a great job for us, so 29 isn't that old these days and players are athletes and can last longer now.

This is true, but Barry wasn't 30 million and I would argue his game didn't revolve around his physical skills
il Vesuvio e la terra che amo

July 05, 2020, 01:58:06 AM
Reply #31

Paddockoldie

Yeah, fair point. I was just making reference to how players today aren't past it when they hit 30. How old was Gaye when we signed him? I know it's a lot fork out but if he pushes us on to better things by actually being a midfielder he might be worth it. Carlo knows him well so he must see where he'd fit in.

July 05, 2020, 02:21:04 AM
Reply #32

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Gaye was about 26 wasnít he? Left when he was 29.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

July 05, 2020, 03:25:00 AM
Reply #33

ForzaItalia

Gaye was about 26 wasn't he? Left when he was 29.

And only cost £7m
il Vesuvio e la terra che amo

July 05, 2020, 03:48:10 AM
Reply #34

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
And only cost £7m
That was a fluke.

Shame Gbamin most likely wonít be a worthy replacement now. We desperately need someone to bolster Gomes. He had a decent partnership with Gaye.

Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

July 05, 2020, 04:01:19 AM
Reply #35

stirlingblue

Bit of a blanket statement for a more technical question. Some players have a higher level of athleticism than others, but some players game is less effected by age. Allen seems to be a player that is somewhere in the middle. He's a great athlete, and although his game isn't based on explosively and pace (key abilities of players who fade quicker) his game is being an engine, with the agility to get up and down to disrupt the play. He's not like Pirlo who could sit back and let the game come to him. So I think it's really anyone's guess how long his legs hold up. It will depend on how he looks after himself and his ability to adapt.

Look over the park at Milner to see whatís possible if you look after yourself, still got a great engine at 34

July 05, 2020, 04:02:37 AM
Reply #36

Bluedylan

You read about this transfer and you see 'Napoli want to replace Allan with x, y or z' and you think....maybe we should be going for the same x, y or z and not getting the player Napoli want rid of.

Maybe that's just me.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 05, 2020, 04:09:31 AM
Reply #37

Waltzer

You read about this transfer and you see 'Napoli want to replace Allan with x, y or z' and you think....maybe we should be going for the same x, y or z and not getting the player Napoli want rid of.

Maybe that's just me.

But maybe Allan doesn't suit the formation Gatuso wants to play and wants a player to fit his formation, just like Carlo wants Allan as he knows he works in a formation he likes!?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

July 05, 2020, 04:14:44 AM
Reply #38

Bluedylan

But maybe Allan doesn't suit the formation Gatuso wants to play and wants a player to fit his formation, just like Carlo wants Allan as he knows he works in a formation he likes!?

This is true. And he does look a really good player who would definitely improve us immediately.

Just wish we were a bit ahead of the game at times, and thinking more like RB Leipzig and those sorts of clubs.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 05, 2020, 04:19:28 AM
Reply #39

Waltzer

This is true. And he does look a really good player who would definitely improve us immediately.

Just wish we were a bit ahead of the game at times, and thinking more like RB Leipzig and those sorts of clubs.

Yep, I'd love it to find a 21 year old Allan that we can't build the team around, but I think Carlo will want to get in a certain calibre of player that he thinks can take us to the next level instantly, then hopefully go down that route?

July 05, 2020, 02:38:17 PM
Reply #40

Toddacelli

Maybe that's just me.

Nah man, that's just Nil Satis Nisi Optimum at it's best!

These days though it's more like Nil Satis Nisi Optimism - Nothing is good enough but we hope for the best!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 05, 2020, 03:26:40 PM
Reply #41

Dr. Sponge

Maybe that's just me.
Yep. The club owe us a few astute signings before I can feel comfortable splashing out on players of this age.

I wouldnt mind spunking a load on Allan  all over Allan's back, if we were smart with buying a RW, another CM and a RB.

July 05, 2020, 03:37:16 PM
Reply #42

Cozzie

July 05, 2020, 04:23:29 PM
Reply #43

mikey_blue

Look over the park at Milner to see what's possible if you look after yourself, still got a great engine at 34

Totally agree. Itís dependent on how the player takes care of himself. Iíve not got a clue what sort of extracurricular activities that Allen partakes in, but theyíre the things that prolong a career. You only need to look at Rooney to see how quickly age can take hold of a world class talent.

July 05, 2020, 04:25:38 PM
Reply #44

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Look over the park at Milner to see whatís possible if you look after yourself, still got a great engine at 34

Helps when youíre on the worlds best doping programme.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown