May 25, 2020, 04:18:05 AM

Author Topic: 5 players you wanted to be boss  (Read 4064 times)

April 15, 2020, 01:34:32 PM
Read 4064 times

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Loving these threads lads. @Simon Paul made me recall some players that I really rooted for but weíre ultimately shite.

John Oster - thought he was going to be a flying winger. He neither flew nor wung.

John Collins - I thought we were flush with cash, I thought we were buying stars, he came over from France and a great suntan. But kinda flattered to deceive.

Niclas Alexanderson - another who I thought was going to satisfy my winger fetish. I saw him control a ball dead after it was booted into orbit by the goalie, I was sold. I saw him play, I was gutted. I never gave up though and referred back to that deft touch on many occasions.

Phil Jevons - saw him do a back heel thingy once. Thought he was the absolute bollocks. Donít think I ever saw him again. But it didnít stop me wondering why he wasnít starting every week.

Mikel Madar - the nationality, the hair, the debut, the derby miss. What a player. Maybe. Probably not. Definitely not.

Thereís loads of others now Iím thinking about it. I think Iím a romantic at heart and believe every signing we made during my formative years was the signing that would win us the league.

April 15, 2020, 02:08:07 PM
Reply #1

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Alex Nyarko

One of the pre season friendlies when we signed him, might have been Man City for Joe Parkinsons testimonial?? He looked unplayable

All over the park, threw tackles in all game, looked like totally the type of centre mid us Evertonians love. Turned out to be utter garbage

On the John Collins shout....he was dire, until he announced he was leaving and then started playing out of his skin and making it look effortless. Remember him going to left back and even right back for at least part of one game and coasting through it. But when we signed I thought he was gonna rip it up

On the flip side I hated when we signed Gareth Barry. Thought he was finished and just in it for one last payday. Then I went to the Newcastle game and he was the player I thought Nyarko was gonna be all those years earlier. And we still miss him now

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

April 15, 2020, 02:27:44 PM
Reply #2

Cozzie

Per kroldrup.

Remember when we had a pre season tourny in Thailand and he looked boss.

Weird one that.

April 15, 2020, 02:29:04 PM
Reply #3

penguinofdoom1878

Tom Davies - burst onto the scene against City, thought/hoped he'd become the player to build the side around. But now he's just average and wears terrible clothes. Not sure if he needs a loan somewhere or selling.

Jo - thought he was going to be our Brazilian superstar.

most of the players signed under Koeman - especially Ashley Williams, Klaassen & Sandro it was supposed to be a new dawn not a sack of shit.

April 15, 2020, 02:57:07 PM
Reply #4

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Alex Nyarko - Those first few games he looked the real deal.  Where did it all go wrong?

Dinyar Bilyaletdinov - If only he could have been a little bit taller, a little bit stronger and a little bit fitter.  His left foot was a fucking peach.  4 assists in one game in the UEFA when he arrived I thought he was going to be immense.  If he got the ball in the opposition half you always had that hope something could happen.

James McFadden - Another one with all the talent, but not the physique or application to be a regular performer.

Joseph Yobo - He was amazing.  He had everything.  And then somewhere along the line seemed to have his mind wiped by one of those devices that they had in MiB and he forgot how to play football.

Joe Max Moore - I don't know why, but I took to him immediately.  I had his name on the back of my shirt with no actual basis for wanting it.  And he wasn't very good.

April 15, 2020, 03:03:55 PM
Reply #5

Toddacelli

Cadamarteri
Davies
Sandro
Beattie
Jelavic
Stracqualursi

Davies aside, I'm just hanging out for someone who can bang them in. Up next - Kean!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 15, 2020, 03:08:49 PM
Reply #6

ajax_andy

Danny Cademarterie (probably spelt wrong).  Looked class, actually pretty shit.

Rodrigo - awesome name, never actually saw him play.  Thought we were potentially getting a juninho type figure but sadly panned out like most of our random transfers of unknowns.

James Vaughan - think this boy could have been a quality striker but he just picked up all kinds of bizarre injuries that ruined his career.  Still always wonder what could have been for him

April 15, 2020, 03:16:27 PM
Reply #7

ajax_andy

Ibrahama Bakayoko - watched him live Vs Middlesbrough in the league cup at their ground.  Looked like someone had taken Paulo Wanchope, removed any good parts and replaced his legs with those of a new born foal.

When we signed him I had such big hope he'd be boss, and in reality he was absolutely attrocious

April 15, 2020, 03:32:00 PM
Reply #8

velimski

Amokachi.

He's a bit of a legend for the 2 goals in the fa cup semi, but overall he was a huge flop.

April 15, 2020, 04:33:25 PM
Reply #9

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Pretty much any striker we paid top money for save the yak and Lukaku.

AJ perhaps the biggest disappointment of all. Big money and while he started well he couldn't keep it up.

Cottee was another.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

April 15, 2020, 04:48:24 PM
Reply #10

oscar

Rob wakenshaw
Luke garbutt
Billy Kenny
Billy Wright
Ross Barkley

April 15, 2020, 04:54:52 PM
Reply #11

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Wanted Jelevic to carry on his incredible start :(
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

April 15, 2020, 05:00:23 PM
Reply #12

JordanianEmbassy

Loving these threads lads. @Simon Paul made me recall some players that I really rooted for but weíre ultimately shite.

John Oster - thought he was going to be a flying winger. He neither flew nor wung.

John Collins - I thought we were flush with cash, I thought we were buying stars, he came over from France and a great suntan. But kinda flattered to deceive.

Niclas Alexanderson - another who I thought was going to satisfy my winger fetish. I saw him control a ball dead after it was booted into orbit by the goalie, I was sold. I saw him play, I was gutted. I never gave up though and referred back to that deft touch on many occasions.

Phil Jevons - saw him do a back heel thingy once. Thought he was the absolute bollocks. Donít think I ever saw him again. But it didnít stop me wondering why he wasnít starting every week.

Mikel Madar - the nationality, the hair, the debut, the derby miss. What a player. Maybe. Probably not. Definitely not.

Thereís loads of others now Iím thinking about it. I think Iím a romantic at heart and believe every signing we made during my formative years was the signing that would win us the league.

Ha yeah I'm with you on John Oster. I think the first time I saw him play he skipped past 2 players effortlessly and I convinced myself he was gonna be amazing. Don't remember him doing anything that impressed me again.

April 15, 2020, 05:17:58 PM
Reply #13

Cozzie

Segundo Castillo.

The biggest thighs I have ever seen in football, perhaps the whole world.

April 15, 2020, 05:20:52 PM
Reply #14

KoemansNumberTens

Ha yeah I'm with you on John Oster. I think the first time I saw him play he skipped past 2 players effortlessly and I convinced myself he was gonna be amazing. Don't remember him doing anything that impressed me again.

He was the new Ryan giggs was oster wasnít he. Well he wasnít but he was talked up as it