May 25, 2020, 05:41:03 AM

Author Topic: 5 players you wanted to be boss  (Read 4066 times)

April 16, 2020, 07:04:35 AM
Reply #30

toffee_scot

1. Davy Klaassen - Just the biggest disappointment in terms of expectations for me, was really excited when we signed him as well.

2. James McFadden - Always like to see a Scottish player do well for Everton but unfortunately he seemed to be better at international football than club football.

3. Andy van der Meyde - When I heard we were signing a Dutch international from Inter Milan I thought he would be awesome. Despite the drinks and drugs and Moyes fallouts I had a glimmer of hope he would turn things around but when Moyes continued preferring playing others like Dan Gosling out of position on the wing then I knew all was lost.

4. James Vaughan - Seemed to be very promising and even got a start against Arsenal where we ended up winning the game. Shame about injuries, he never really got any momentum.

5. Jose Baxter - Had a reputation of being as good a goalscorer as Rooney at youth level and even made a couple of appearances for the first team at the age of 16. A real shame he was hanging out with a bad crowd and he just became a player just to make up the numbers on the bench while Moyes would prefer making defensive subs anyway.

April 16, 2020, 02:26:46 PM
Reply #31

Lazarou

So many hopes and dreams lay scattered on the Goodison turf, reading some of those names it's incredible how many fails we have had.

On FM20 I scouted Rodwell as I know his uncle, rated as Vanarama league standard  lolol
We canít return to normal because the normal that we had was precisely the problem.

April 16, 2020, 06:57:30 PM
Reply #32

ajax_andy

1. Davy Klaassen - Just the biggest disappointment in terms of expectations for me, was really excited when we signed him as well.

2. James McFadden - Always like to see a Scottish player do well for Everton but unfortunately he seemed to be better at international football than club football.

3. Andy van der Meyde - When I heard we were signing a Dutch international from Inter Milan I thought he would be awesome. Despite the drinks and drugs and Moyes fallouts I had a glimmer of hope he would turn things around but when Moyes continued preferring playing others like Dan Gosling out of position on the wing then I knew all was lost.

4. James Vaughan - Seemed to be very promising and even got a start against Arsenal where we ended up winning the game. Shame about injuries, he never really got any momentum.

5. Jose Baxter - Had a reputation of being as good a goalscorer as Rooney at youth level and even made a couple of appearances for the first team at the age of 16. A real shame he was hanging out with a bad crowd and he just became a player just to make up the numbers on the bench while Moyes would prefer making defensive subs anyway.

I think Jose Baxter was when it really hit home that extremely promising youth players still mostly don't make it with us. I used to be really excited reading about young lads who looked a prospect, bit time and time again even the most promising turned out to be league one standard.

The game has changed so much that unless you're absolute top drawer, in that 1% of talent you're never going to make it at this level, and so following youth teams is by and large a pointless and frustrating experience

April 16, 2020, 08:41:06 PM
Reply #33

Stumpy

Wanted Jelevic to carry on his incredible start :(

Yeah,that's the one that i'm gutted about.Hit the ground running and looked the real deal before just fading away.

April 16, 2020, 08:43:39 PM
Reply #34

Stumpy

Wanted Jelevic to carry on his incredible start :(
Yeah,that's the one i'm most gutted about.Hit the ground running and looked the real deal before just fading away.

April 16, 2020, 08:56:25 PM
Reply #35

cantoffee

Anichebe.

Thought he had all the tools but could never put together the goal scoring run required.

Also felt he was overlooked by everyone who thought James Vaughn was the better prospect when I always felt Anichebe had more to him.

Fought in his favour way too hard on here!

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

April 16, 2020, 09:05:15 PM
Reply #36

Shogun

Administrator
Anichebe.

Thought he had all the tools but could never put together the goal scoring run required.

Also felt he was overlooked by everyone who thought James Vaughn was the better prospect when I always felt Anichebe had more to him.

Big Vic just seemed to get injured whenever he went on a scoring run. Shame the way his career has turned out because he even at decent spells at West Brom and Sunderland but the same problems happened there.
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

April 16, 2020, 09:10:57 PM
Reply #37

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Anichebe.

Heard it first hand from Scott Spencer (remember that hot prospect?!) that Moyes and the lads had Vic nailed on to absolutely beast it and not rate Vaughan as highly.

He was trashed and told me how Andy Van was the best player at the club and how his weaker left boot has more power in it than anyone elseís stronger foot.

We paid good money for that Spencer lad at the time. Another player Iíve never heard of again.

April 16, 2020, 09:36:23 PM
Reply #38

Stumpy

Anichebe.

It was the other way round for me cantoffee,i always though vaughan was the better prospect.I used to get quite frustrated when anichebe was selected over him.In the end they were birds of a feather,injuries hampered them both and neither were able to reach the top and lead the line.

April 17, 2020, 12:07:15 AM
Reply #39

toffee_scot

Yeah I had a soft spot for Anichebe too although I thought he was slightly more "successful" than Vaughan at Everton.

I do remember him being compared to Drogba at one point and he did pretty well didn't he during one of our UEFA Cup/Europa League runs putting the likes of Yakubu to shame.

He did start scoring more goals towards the end, didn't he become a record signing for West Brom at the time?

April 17, 2020, 03:41:39 AM
Reply #40

ajax_andy

Heard it first hand from Scott Spencer (remember that hot prospect?!) that Moyes and the lads had Vic nailed on to absolutely beast it and not rate Vaughan as highly.

He was trashed and told me how Andy Van was the best player at the club and how his weaker left boot has more power in it than anyone elseís stronger foot.

We paid good money for that Spencer lad at the time. Another player Iíve never heard of again.

Not saying you're not being truthful, just that story you were told doesn't ring true.  Always remember Moyes was going to buy Yakubu I think it was a year or two before we actually did, but had such belief in Vaughan that he wanted him to lead the line instead.

April 17, 2020, 05:20:12 AM
Reply #41

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Joe Baxter
James Vaughan
Nick Chadwick
Ross Barkley
James McFadden
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

April 17, 2020, 05:20:33 AM
Reply #42

Deano Blue Boy

Michael Branch was another one.

I remember seeing him marantos on lark lane when I was a little kid. I think he was the first footballer I'd seen outside of a match

April 17, 2020, 07:20:01 AM
Reply #43

Jamokachi

Not saying you're not being truthful, just that story you were told doesn't ring true.  Always remember Moyes was going to buy Yakubu I think it was a year or two before we actually did, but had such belief in Vaughan that he wanted him to lead the line instead.

An open secret that Vic was more highly rated behind the scenes, much to the disgust of Vic's detractors.

April 17, 2020, 10:46:13 PM
Reply #44

arteta4spain

Pienaar
Arteta
Fellaini
Baines
Lukaku

Haha I joke

McGeady
Bilyaletdinov
Vaughan