May 25, 2020, 04:36:23 AM

Author Topic: 5 Players Who Turned Out Better Than You Expected  (Read 646 times)

May 23, 2020, 07:14:08 PM
Read 646 times

toffee_scot

Another bit of fun.

Which five Everton players past or present were you initially underwhelmed with when we signed them or did you anticipate would not do very much for us but ended up doing much better than you expected?

Mine would be:

1. Dominic Calvert Lewin - Brought in very cheap from Sheff Utd, thought he would be here to mostly boost our U23 squad but a few years later has 15 goals to his name already this season.

2. Seamus Coleman - been such a breath of fresh air at right back after years watching Hibbert and Neville compete for that position.

3. Steven Naismith - didn't expect to like him when he first joined but although not the most skilful player he brought a tenacity in attack which we have often lacked in recent times. Still remember fondly his hat trick against Chelsea.

4. John Stones - Bought for £3m from Barnsley but forgotten about under David Moyes, a few years later he gets sold to Man City for nearly £50m and has nearly 40 England caps to date.

5. Landon Donovan - Wasn't expecting much from him during his first loan move but was very pleasantly surprised and seemed to fit into the team and their dynamics extremely well. Shame we couldn't make the move permanent.

May 23, 2020, 07:44:22 PM
Reply #1

Picko1975

As daft as it sounds, Kevin Kilbane. When we bought him I thought ‘WTF’ then he turned out to be a much better player than I every gave him credit for. He was never a world beater but he was a good solid player for us.

May 23, 2020, 07:56:55 PM
Reply #2

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Cahill - always a worry that a player won’t make the step up

Martyn- Thought he might be past it but was bloody brilliant and just a shame we got him 6 years too late

Barry - again, thought he was at the end of his career and we would be a bit beneath him because he’d been at City.

Parkinson - almost an after thought signing with Limpar on deadline day but what a player the Pieman was and would’ve been if he hadn’t got injured

Gana Gueye - hasn’t seen much of him at Villa and remember reading all this negative stuff by people who has obviously never seen him play but associated being relegated with being shite. One of my all time favourite Everton players
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 23, 2020, 08:31:10 PM
Reply #3

KoemansNumberTens

Cahill - always a worry that a player won’t make the step up

Martyn- Thought he might be past it but was bloody brilliant and just a shame we got him 6 years too late

Barry - again, thought he was at the end of his career and we would be a bit beneath him because he’d been at City.

Parkinson - almost an after thought signing with Limpar on deadline day but what a player the Pieman was and would’ve been if he hadn’t got injured

Gana Gueye - hasn’t seen much of him at Villa and remember reading all this negative stuff by people who has obviously never seen him play but associated being relegated with being shite. One of my all time favourite Everton players

Could see from gueye’s debut in a friendly that he was special. Gave a penalty away first minute then spent the next 89 tackling everything
Remember a lot of villa fans not being arsed about him leaving and none of us having any clue who he was really beforehand though

May 23, 2020, 08:48:12 PM
Reply #4

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Could see from gueye’s debut in a friendly that he was special. Gave a penalty away first minute then spent the next 89 tackling everything
Remember a lot of villa fans not being arsed about him leaving and none of us having any clue who he was really beforehand though

Missed his debut but watched him closely against spurs in the opening game and was hooked

May 23, 2020, 09:33:12 PM
Reply #5

74Blue

Sylvain Distin - was really underwhelmed when we replaced Joleon Lescott in his prime with an aging Distin. He was solid though and quickly proved me wrong.

Louis Saha - talented but had suffered a fair few injuries before coming to Everton. Great player on his day though.

Mason Holgate - another bargain basement signing who looked like he was never really going to be quite good enough to be a first team regular in the PL. I'd be genuinely gutted if he left now though.

Mikel Arteta - wasn't 100% sure about a player who we could get on loan with an option to buy at just a couple of million. Delighted to be proven wrong though.

Marcus Bent - replaced the biggest talent that we had seen coming through the youth syatem in Rooney and did a pretty decent job for us considering the tiny fee we paid for him.

May 23, 2020, 10:05:31 PM
Reply #6

Mac934

Paul Power
Richard Gough
Davie Weir
Graham Sharp
Peter Reid

All turned out to be better than expected for various reasons.

May 23, 2020, 10:10:22 PM
Reply #7

Cozzie

Most of my ones have been said.

Lee Carsley can be added to that. Probably our most important player during his time here for the role he played in the team.

I'm convinced Real Madrid wanted him but bought Gravesen by mistake.

May 23, 2020, 10:18:35 PM
Reply #8

BlueForYou

Dave Clements
Colin Todd
Brian Kidd
Alan Harper
Pat Van Den Hauwe
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

May 23, 2020, 11:35:54 PM
Reply #9

ajax_andy

DCL - looked all work rate and no finesse, now looks the absolute bollocks.

Marcus Bent - Extremely average player but worked his socks off and was a perfect fit for the system.  Turned out to be a much better signing than I expected.

Campbell - journey man bought from Turkey in a desperate attempt to stay up... Turned out to be class.  Absolutely loved him as a player for us.

Barry - never rated him before he signed for us, but was a superb signing despite his age.

Gueye - seemed a bit of a punt based on good stats alone, even villa forums were a bit 'meh' about him when I looked at their thoughts on him leaving... Ended up being an absolute beast for us.

May 24, 2020, 06:40:11 AM
Reply #10

Jamokachi

Campbell - journey man bought from Turkey in a desperate attempt to stay up... Turned out to be class.  Absolutely loved him as a player for us.

Err, apart from a couple of loans when he was really young his career was Arsenal --> Notts Forest --> Trabzonspor --> Us. He definitely wasn't a "journey man". He was also an excellent player for both Arsenal and Forest. The move to Turkey didn't work out, mainly due to racist abuse (if I remember rightly). We got lucky that an excellent player was desperate to come back to the UK.

May 24, 2020, 07:05:22 AM
Reply #11

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Err, apart from a couple of loans when he was really young his career was Arsenal --> Notts Forest --> Trabzonspor --> Us. He definitely wasn't a "journey man". He was also an excellent player for both Arsenal and Forest. The move to Turkey didn't work out, mainly due to racist abuse (if I remember rightly). We got lucky that an excellent player was desperate to come back to the UK.

We’ve had this conversation on here before about the definition of the term ‘journeyman’ and it doesn’t mean what we all think - that a player has gone from club to club. In modern terms it means a worker or sportsman who is reliable but not outstanding. Historically it just meant a trained person who was employed by others to do a job.

May 24, 2020, 07:16:32 AM
Reply #12

Jamokachi

We’ve had this conversation on here before about the definition of the term ‘journeyman’ and it doesn’t mean what we all think - that a player has gone from club to club. In modern terms it means a worker or sportsman who is reliable but not outstanding. Historically it just meant a trained person who was employed by others to do a job.

Yea I recall. I'm not having a player with 3 clubs previous to us described as a journeyman though. In a football sense, it's incorrect.

May 24, 2020, 07:29:10 AM
Reply #13

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Yea I recall. I'm not having a player with 3 clubs previous to us described as a journeyman though. In a football sense, it's incorrect.

I agree - three clubs is in no way a large number of clubs for any player, let alone a ‘journeyman’.

May 24, 2020, 02:06:54 PM
Reply #14

Toddacelli

I agree - three clubs is in no way a large number of clubs for any player, let alone a ‘journeyman’.

It's interesting though - and maybe worthy of it's own thread but the term journeyman always brings one player into my mind - Dean Windass.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates