July 15, 2020, 01:52:52 AM

Author Topic: Player of the Year/Most Imrpoved Player/Disappointment of the season...  (Read 1737 times)

June 05, 2020, 01:09:08 AM
Reply #15

bigdunc9

Spot on
Danny Ings has had a fantastic season. Anyone scoring more than him would have been in the running for prem top scorer so I'd avoid any comparison with him.

POTY - Richarlison/DCL

MIP - Holgate/DCL

Most disappointing - Delph - managed to combine being crap with being a bit of an arsehole too.

June 05, 2020, 01:49:09 AM
Reply #16

KoemansNumberTens

Thereís been 3 that have been great and the rest have been varying levels of disappointing

Richarlison DCL and Holgate are the 3 that have impressed and improved

Most disappointing is a strong contest too. Sigurdsson for being utterly useless. Pickford for making way too many crazy mistakes. Digne whoís gone from brilliant to just okay really. Kean for doing nowt. We could mention most of the squad for 1 thing or another.

Think thatís our problem. 3 young players have been very good and the senior players have almost all disappointed or carried on being crap

June 05, 2020, 02:18:58 AM
Reply #17

toffee_scot

Most Improved: Holgate and DCL. Special mention to Yerry Mina who seemed to be emerging as a first choice CB.
Player of the Year: Probably Richarlison

Biggest Disappointment: To be honest we deserve to be 12th in the league due to mainly poor recruitment in the summer where no one player has particularly impressed plus Marco Silva in the end turned out to be a wee bit crap as a manager didnít he? Special dishonour also goes to Sigurdsson and this weird decision to make him captain.

June 05, 2020, 02:39:11 AM
Reply #18

Mac934

POTY DCL
MIP Holgate
disappointment All the rest bar Richarlison who would be POTY if he would stop the stupid falling down rolling around antics.

June 05, 2020, 03:13:27 AM
Reply #19

Thornton_19

POTY - Richarlison

MIP - DCL

Disappointment - Mina.  I appreciate there's been much MUCH worse players so this isn't based on him playing badly, more the realisation that he's just not quite good enough for where we want to be.  I'd hoped we'd signed a bit of a rough diamond but overall he's just a decent to good centre half, not the all conquering beast of a defender who's an absolute menace in the opposition's box from set pieces.

I'm not disappointed in Delph, Sig etc as I knew they were shite already... Iwobe I think still needs more time to show what he can do.
Mina is a weird one for me here mate. Genuinely think he has been our only consistently good player all season.
Other players have reached higher peaks but i dont think anyone has been more consistent.

June 05, 2020, 02:15:23 PM
Reply #20

ajax_andy

Mina is a weird one for me here mate. Genuinely think he has been our only consistently good player all season.
Other players have reached higher peaks but i dont think anyone has been more consistent.

Yeah my choosing him isn't a reflection on his performances as such, I just don't see him being anything other than a pretty decent centre half... I had hoped we'd signed a bit of a monster who would dominate at both ends for us, and he just doesn't seem to be that.  He's not bad, he's got quality, I just feel a bit like he's not quite good enough  to be in that bracket of a absolute top centre half.

June 05, 2020, 03:12:37 PM
Reply #21

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Havenít Mina and Digne laid down some really solid stats this season?

June 05, 2020, 03:44:41 PM
Reply #22

ajax_andy

Havenít Mina and Digne laid down some really solid stats this season?

Solid is fine, but I'm talking about a really dominant centre half which I don't believe he is.  He's good but not quite good enough to be seen as a real top 4-6 player, plus he can't bring the ball out of defence, looks like he's never ran with a ball at his feet before.

Long term Holgate looks like he'll be the real deal, but my disappointment towards Mina is that whilst he's a good partner I don't think he's as good as he needs to be in order for us to challenge those above us.  It's not me saying he's been poor this season, because if I went down that route I'd choose any of about 10 other players. It's looking purely at what I thought we were potentially getting, and then the reality of what he seems to be.

I appreciate it's a controversial choice, but choosing Sig, Walcott, Delph etc is just lazy and obvious, so kind of pointless imo.

June 05, 2020, 05:28:53 PM
Reply #23

penguinofdoom1878

Alright we're losing our heads now, the other thread people suggesting Besic might be an option in midfield and now Mina who has been one of our best players this season in his first full proper season at the club, has been put in the biggest disappointment of the season category :bonk:

June 05, 2020, 06:52:03 PM
Reply #24

ajax_andy

Alright we're losing our heads now, the other thread people suggesting Besic might be an option in midfield and now Mina who has been one of our best players this season in his first full proper season at the club, has been put in the biggest disappointment of the season category :bonk:

4th or 5th best player in a team where only 4 or 5 have played anything like at the level required, so yes one of our better performers in a bad team.

Also the disappointment comes from him probably not being the long term solution to who will partner Holgate, which is for me disappointing as if hoped he would be.

Picking Delph, Walcott, Davies, Kean etc etc is lazy and easy as you'd not expect much from them anyway, at least me choosing Mina is a thought out answer and not just picking a player everyone knew was shite.  Hard to find any disappointment in a poor player being poor.

June 05, 2020, 07:41:50 PM
Reply #25

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Congratulations on being the least boring and most well thought out poster.

June 05, 2020, 10:46:48 PM
Reply #26

ajax_andy

Congratulations on being the least boring and most well thought out poster.

Thanks, do I get a trophy?

June 05, 2020, 11:33:52 PM
Reply #27

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

June 06, 2020, 12:00:37 AM
Reply #28

Toddacelli

Improved - Holgate because he came from 3rd or 4th choice CB to a ball-playing sweeper who could also do full-back or DM. DCL ge's honourable mention and no doubt would have won it another year but his trajectory has not curved as steeply as Holgate's. Still on track and still going though so good job boys.

Disappointed - I'm disappointed in Kean because I wanted his progress to be quicker but I still back him to improve. I'm disappointed in Ancelotti because he's a great manager, yet Sigurdsson still came out wearing the armband on his watch. I'm disappointed in Brands because I thought there would be more marked progress in the recruitment/deadwood situation by now. I'm not asking for miracles - just better. I'm disappointed in Delph. The appointment smelled like "we've bought a winner" for the squad. Remember when we bought all those captains how that worked out for us? No fucking leaders on the pitch. But most of all I am disappointed in Sigurdsson. All the talent in the world and a great engine on him, yet he only touches the ball 5 times a game and none of those touches are winning games for us.

Player of the year is Richarlison isn't it? Him, DCL and Holgate against Newcastle were just next-level and showed up how many other shirts were given to shithouses that day - Delph springs instantly to mind. Anyway - Richarlison, hands-down.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

June 06, 2020, 05:41:56 AM
Reply #29

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Poty - DCL for me. Wow. Had an absolutely fantastic season and starting to look like a real genuine stud of a prospect.

Mina has had an extremely solid season and I think he could still prove to be the player he threatened to be with his early promise. We really should be getting 5 or 6 a year off his bonce though, and he does struggle with injuries it seems. Big men very rarely heal quickly.

Richarlison is a bona fide future CL player no doubt about it, a team of richarlisons please, but for Dom to step up and do what he's done this year is above and beyond.

Improved - for me Holgate, as I had him down as championship kick off merchant with a nice slide rule pass. Has grabbed the position in the way I'd wish Tom Davies would his.

Disappointment - probably Pickford who I have gone from thinking, this is a genuinely very good young goal keeper who needs some flaws ironing out, to; this is a consistently bad goalkeeper who needs ironing out. Statistically one of the worst in the league. A bigger fall from grace we could not imagine.

The sigurdssons, silvas, of the world - disappointment implies some sense of hope and both were lost with both of them sometime a season ago or more.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.