July 15, 2020, 02:06:16 AM

Author Topic: Thiago Silva  (Read 3432 times)

June 16, 2020, 02:36:24 AM
Reply #15

ally2

He'll be off to Qatar on a mega pay day.

June 16, 2020, 02:47:12 AM
Reply #16

Waltzer

Money talks in the end so it will play a part, but hasn't he said he's got unfinished business in Europe? I personally think he'll go back to Milan and would probably be more suited there than here but id like to see him in an Everton top

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

June 16, 2020, 03:00:48 AM
Reply #17

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
No issue with this at all

June 16, 2020, 03:14:36 AM
Reply #18

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

He's already said he wants to stay in Europe, if he's serious about that he'll be taking a significant pay cut wherever he ends up.

No problems with this potential deal at all. Don't watch European football but from what I've read he can still do a job and brings a wealth of knowledge and would no doubt greatly benefit Holgate. Free transfer too allows us to focus a likely more limited budget on areas we are perhaps a little more lacking.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

June 16, 2020, 03:25:21 AM
Reply #19

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Just seems odd for a side struggling with wages and sellable assets to add a centre back who will turn 37 next season on what will surely be eye watering wages.

He's an organiser and he's experienced at the highest level and the manager knows him...but...smart clubs don't do this I don't think. They add value and build a team that can compete over the next few years.

This looks like Rooney, Eto'o, Gazza, Ginola.

Also another tick in the Does Brands Actually Do Stuff box for me.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 16, 2020, 03:28:40 AM
Reply #20

Shogun

Administrator
Wonder if this could see Keane leave? Spurs were interested (weirdly) at one point and this would cement him as 4th choice, I think.
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

June 16, 2020, 03:31:15 AM
Reply #21

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Just seems odd for a side struggling with wages and sellable assets to add a centre back who will turn 37 next season on what will surely be eye watering wages.

He's an organiser and he's experienced at the highest level and the manager knows him...but...smart clubs don't do this I don't think. They add value and build a team that can compete over the next few years.

Rooney was arguably our best player that season (admittedly low bar) and Eto'o pulled his weight too.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

June 16, 2020, 03:31:27 AM
Reply #22

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber

Sometimes you just need to bridge a gap. If we're serious about going up a level then even the temps need to be quality?
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

June 16, 2020, 03:32:06 AM
Reply #23

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Rooney was arguably our best player that season (admittedly low bar) and Eto'o pulled his weight too.

Agree.

Both wastes of money too though, not mutually exclusive statements.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 16, 2020, 03:34:29 AM
Reply #24

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Agree.

Both wastes of money too though, not mutually exclusive statements.

Stop gaps, which is all we may need here.

June 16, 2020, 03:35:41 AM
Reply #25

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Sometimes you just need to bridge a gap. If we're serious about going up a level then even the temps need to be quality?

I guess that's the 20 that is for him.

I would like to see if he still Thiago Silva and if he is I'd like to see that player in Everton shirt.

But even if he's the best defender in the world how long does it last? And then you're a year or two down the line, and he's took minutes off Holgate and Mina so they haven't developed as they could have regardless of watching a good player in training, and then we have to spend money to replace him.

Team gets better but does not really push the side on. I don't think teams on the up do this. Imagine West Ham made this signing, would you take it seriously?

June 16, 2020, 03:36:23 AM
Reply #26

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Stop gaps, which is all we may need here.

I'd like us to stop throwing money into gaps, that's what I'd like.

June 16, 2020, 03:39:05 AM
Reply #27

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I'd like us to stop throwing money into gaps, that's what I'd like.

The money isn't much of a factor though.

We could give him 150k a week and spend an extra 20-30m in other places or we could pay 30m for a younger centre half on not a lot less wages and have less to spend elsewhere.

Meanwhile he could help us climb a few places in the league helping us attract a better quality replacement than we may be able to now.

June 16, 2020, 03:42:21 AM
Reply #28

Shogun

Administrator
I think if you get to 35 and you're leaving a club like PSG to come to Everton then that's a good indication of his attitude (clearly not his decision making). He could very easily go play somewhere else and get paid big bucks without the spotlight on him so much.

There's no reason for him to continue his career unless he just loves football. The bloke is absolute minted and has won plenty.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 07:30:33 AM by Shogun »
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

June 16, 2020, 03:44:42 AM
Reply #29

pjk

NSNO Subscriber
He's 36 in September. Centre backs tend to last a bit longer than other outfield players. Richard Gough and David Weir spring to mind, amongst others. If he's that experienced and played at the top of the tree for the last 11 years. I don't know why It's not a good idea for one season? It may make the difference of earning a place in Europe.
As Tacitus said: "To plunder, butcher, steal, these things they misname empire: they make a desolation and they call it peace."