August 15, 2020, 05:42:41 PM

Author Topic: Jarrad Branthwaite  (Read 2802 times)

July 21, 2020, 05:39:44 AM
Reply #30

Undisputed_blue

Begs the question - does his performance mean we don’t need to buy a 4th CB? Focus on strengthening elsewhere?

I personally focus elsewhere, particularly in midfield. We have to think about rebuilding a squad over two or three seasons. As Brands said we have a one in and one out transfer policy. Only the knee jerkers and the clueless who will think we can build a strong team with a pile of money over a summer period.

Don't forget we have Pennington and Gibson on loan. Michael Keane has been consistent since the restart. I'd say we need to offload a central defender this summer.

July 21, 2020, 05:53:25 AM
Reply #31

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
As I am a well known yoof hater I will just say, the lad is 18, he is still growing into his body. Whilst he has done all you could really expect he's also made mistakes and will continue to do so

Should we buy another CB? Hell yeah

How many 18yo cb's are there in the PL?

Final comment, he will face far tougher tasks than Mcgoldrick and Mcburnie in the future, lets not rush him, get on his back and ruin him

The signs, initial as they are, look good
Simply simply lovely

July 21, 2020, 05:54:11 AM
Reply #32

Bluedylan

I'd happily have Branthwaite as 4th CB. Isn't a talented 18 year old, who's had first team exposure the ideal profile for 4th CB?

You wouldn't want to rely on him all season, but he's ready to step into the team at any point, and he can get games off the bench, in the cups and covering injuries.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 21, 2020, 06:00:43 AM
Reply #33

Undisputed_blue

As I am a well known yoof hater I will just say, the lad is 18, he is still growing into his body. Whilst he has done all you could really expect he's also made mistakes and will continue to do so

Should we buy another CB? Hell yeah

How many 18yo cb's are there in the PL?

Final comment, he will face far tougher tasks than Mcgoldrick and Mcburnie in the future, lets not rush him, get on his back and ruin him

The signs, initial as they are, look good

It goes to show we have a special talent like Branthwaite who can only get better once his body starts to fill out and become more confident with experience. Not many older centre halves than can pass the ball like he does. We don't need to buy a centre half.

July 21, 2020, 06:06:27 AM
Reply #34

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I wonder where it leaves Lewis Gibson, who by all accounts is a fine young defender who the plan is to go out on loan next year then rock back up for first team training the year after.

What I wouldn't like to see happen is Branthwaite is given the 4th CB slot and ends up being stuck not playing u23 football and being named as sub on a deep sibs bench every week, not getting minutes.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 21, 2020, 06:09:49 AM
Reply #35

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I wonder where it leaves Lewis Gibson, who by all accounts is a fine young defender who the plan is to go out on loan next year then rock back up for first team training the year after.

What I wouldn't like to see happen is Branthwaite is given the 4th CB slot and ends up being stuck not playing u23 football and being named as sub on a deep sibs bench every week, not getting minutes.
That said, its 5 subs now isnt it? Thats wank rule btw
Simply simply lovely

July 21, 2020, 06:10:44 AM
Reply #36

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'd happily have Branthwaite as 4th CB. Isn't a talented 18 year old, who's had first team exposure the ideal profile for 4th CB?

You wouldn't want to rely on him all season, but he's ready to step into the team at any point, and he can get games off the bench, in the cups and covering injuries.
4th cb for us tho is kinda like first in line cos Mina always seems to be injured. Keane seems mentally fragile. So for me, yeah we need another cb
Simply simply lovely

July 21, 2020, 06:15:59 AM
Reply #37

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I know I’m always going on about signing older players and how we shouldn’t be doing it but I do think Tiago silva makes a lot of sense.

He comes in for a year or two whilst this lad and Gibson go out on loan is a nice scenario for us.

Having said that, we’re clearly all in with Gabriel and I wouldn’t be against that in any way.

Mina is great, but has issues staying fit.

Keane is Keane, still not convinced at all.

Holgate has been great this season but let’s see him do it for a whole season.

We might be well stocked but there’s doubts over all our centre halves for me.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

July 21, 2020, 06:34:09 AM
Reply #38

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That said, its 5 subs now isnt it? Thats wank rule btw

Think the danger is subs benches become elephant graveyards for young players.

Oh include him we get 5 subs. End up picking up 2 mins here, 5 mins there.

Better off playing and learning maybe.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 21, 2020, 07:55:37 AM
Reply #39

Thornton_19

Hopefully  next season he goes on loan to a top half championship team. The year after he will basically be Baresi and it will be sound.

Think Gibson will be given a chance with the first team then if its not happening another loan in January.

July 21, 2020, 08:49:23 AM
Reply #40

Evertonian in NC

If we'd not shit our dick at the first possible opportunity (for a change), Cup ties also give plenty of opportunity to use one's CB depth.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

July 21, 2020, 12:44:46 PM
Reply #41

Dr. Sponge

He's extremely young for a CB so he's going to make a lot of mistakes and no first team manager can afford to rely on him every week. I'd rather he spent some time on our bench and learning from our first team rather than on the bench in League 1 or 2.

July 21, 2020, 01:01:55 PM
Reply #42

mikey_blue

Initial signs are encouraging. Especially liked that after a tough 10 mins he didn’t lose his head, he just kept to the task at hand and settled into it. Props to Keane as well though, he’s been really solid since the restart.

I still think if we’ve put the leg work in for getting Gabriel then we should still try and get him, and loan Branthwaite out to a good standard German team maybe? Seems to already have the size and bulk, so he can miss the championship out, the Bundesliga would allow him to focus on technique and tactics.

July 21, 2020, 01:22:45 PM
Reply #43

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Feels like the club possibly see Gabriel as a £20m CB that they can use for 2yrs and sell
for £50m.

Gibson back out on loan (apparently he did really well stepping up to senior footy).

Branthwaite was probs meant to stay at the club and settle in for 12 months, he’s only 18 after all. But it looks like he’s given the club a decision or two. Maybe keep him around until Xmas and then carefully pick a club to loan to based on half the season and how they’ve used young players themselves.

Keeping him to sit on the bench or shipping him just to get mins is short sighted. 6 months at a club playing the right type of footy, with a manager that will pretty much guarantee see out the season will be a more productive 6 months than chucking him at a club that wants a big CB to make up the numbers.

July 21, 2020, 01:25:24 PM
Reply #44

Toddacelli

Tried more forward passes in that game than our midfield had done all season.

I'm in for Freddie Flintoff's lovechild. He's bowled me over!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates