August 11, 2020, 01:55:06 AM

Author Topic: Jarrad Branthwaite  (Read 2702 times)

July 21, 2020, 01:56:13 PM
Reply #45

stirlingblue

No idea what we do about CB next season, even before you take Braithwaite into account.

Mina and Keane were both signed to start and will expect to do so, but after this year then Holgate will be expecting the same too and he has a higher ceiling than Keane.

Yet we also seem pretty set on Gabriel so do you think one of Mina/Keane will move on? Or maybe Holgate gets more minutes at defensive mid or right back?

July 21, 2020, 02:28:22 PM
Reply #46

bigmanbob

IMHO it's not an option to play Holgate out of position, the option is Holgate +1 at CB. Keane has proven that with the right type of CB alongside him he can be a the type of defender we thought he'd be. I don't personally think Keane and Mina should play together, it'll be interesting to see how Holgate and Branthwaite look together, is one of them dominant enough to compliment the pairing? I think for now Keane and Holgate should get the nod (if Holgate was fit!!) but the future is very much Holgate and Branthwaite

July 21, 2020, 02:30:13 PM
Reply #47

mikey_blue

No idea what we do about CB next season, even before you take Braithwaite into account.

Mina and Keane we're both signed to start and will expect to do so, but after this year then Holgate will be expecting the same too and he has a higher ceiling than Keane.

Yet we also seem pretty set on Gabriel so do you think one of Mina/Keane will move on? Or maybe Holgate gets more minutes at defensive mid or right back?

Mina struggles for fitness. Its hard to build a defence around a player that may not always be available. I think hes the more likely of the CBs to go.

July 21, 2020, 03:26:51 PM
Reply #48

BlueForYou

Sell Mina, sell Keane, buy a centre-back
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

July 21, 2020, 03:33:43 PM
Reply #49

Undisputed_blue

Mina and Keane were both signed to start and will expect to do so, but after this year then Holgate will be expecting the same too and he has a higher ceiling than Keane.

There's no guarantee Gabriel will sign for us considering he has five clubs bidding for him. If we do sign him then we should unload either Mina or Keane. The question then becomes whether Mina and Keane want to play second fiddle to the right sided central defender where Mason Holgate is first choice. Naturally, Gabriel and Branthwaite will compete for the left sided centre half slot.

July 21, 2020, 03:38:11 PM
Reply #50

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Begs the question - does his performance mean we dont need to buy a 4th CB? Focus on strengthening elsewhere?

Depends I guess on how much Carlo is given to spend, he must prioritise mid field and if that consumes most of his budget then we make do with Jarret.

July 21, 2020, 04:06:37 PM
Reply #51

Lxxx

I think he would benefit more from being 4th centre half here than on loan at somewhere like Wigan for a year. We've just plucked the lad from relative obscurity, showed him a glimpse of the big time and then to throw him back out with the lower level grocks again doesn't make sense.

Let him settle, become part of the match day squads, train with better players, work with one of the best managers in the business and if he gets a few games here and there then great. It's a year of growing up as well as developing physically, he doesn't need to go back to being told to clear it into Row Z while getting an elbow in the face all game for another 12 months.

July 21, 2020, 04:11:22 PM
Reply #52

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Minutes > Sitting on the bench watching Micheal Keane.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 21, 2020, 04:41:00 PM
Reply #53

Macca77

Loan him out to Real Madrid, PSG or Juventus, walks into their teams like

July 21, 2020, 06:55:58 PM
Reply #54

stirlingblue

Loan him out to Real Madrid, PSG or Juventus, walks into their teams like

Not sure about Juve, him and De Ligt are basically the same player so it might not work

July 21, 2020, 07:50:05 PM
Reply #55

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber

I look at it this way. Holgate is penciled in as our #1 CB. Planning to get more than 20 games out of Mina is a guaranteed disaster-in-waiting, and Keane is potentially 1 mistake away from becoming a headcase again. I think Mina/Keane combined are our #2 (or #3?) option. Branthwaite would certainly be an option, but can we rely on him to give us 25+ games at his young age? He's going to see a MUCH higher quality of forwards than Sheff Utd can throw at you. Last thing you want to do to the lad is throw him to the wolves in extremely difficult situations. Which then means do we keep him on as a 4th CB, or ensure he gets regular minutes for 38 (or more) matches at another club (probably in the Championship)?

For me we need a very good-to-excellent #2 CB to pair with Holgate. Or a #3 if you're confident in the Mina/Keane option as our #2.

Not sure about Juve, him and De Ligt are basically the same player so it might not work

hahaha just caught this
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:51:17 PM by YankeeBlue214 »
Playing FM20 24/7.

July 21, 2020, 08:02:54 PM
Reply #56

Evertonian in NC

Not every week, no.  But he can always be on the subs bench, and start maybe 1 game in 3?  That keeps everyone fresh (as seems important if to keep the main dudes healthy and productive).

Plus, only Holgate really is "undroppable" (except when really needs rest).  Nothing wrong with a bit of rotation, and think Holgate is veteran enough now to be able to adjust to whoever is adjacent.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

July 21, 2020, 08:03:25 PM
Reply #57

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Not keen on rotating the defence.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos l Everton!

July 21, 2020, 08:24:49 PM
Reply #58

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I look at it this way. Holgate is penciled in as our #1 CB. Planning to get more than 20 games out of Mina is a guaranteed disaster-in-waiting, and Keane is potentially 1 mistake away from becoming a headcase again. I think Mina/Keane combined are our #2 (or #3?) option. Branthwaite would certainly be an option, but can we rely on him to give us 25+ games at his young age? He's going to see a MUCH higher quality of forwards than Sheff Utd can throw at you. Last thing you want to do to the lad is throw him to the wolves in extremely difficult situations. Which then means do we keep him on as a 4th CB, or ensure he gets regular minutes for 38 (or more) matches at another club (probably in the Championship)?

For me we need a very good-to-excellent #2 CB to pair with Holgate. Or a #3 if you're confident in the Mina/Keane option as our #2.

hahaha just caught this

Dont know why you have such a downer on Keane ? Think hes been consistently good since he regained his confidence which more or less coincided with Carlos arrival. Yes, a CB howler is always costly, just look at Van Dijk the other night.

July 21, 2020, 08:37:54 PM
Reply #59

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Dont know why you have such a downer on Keane ? Think hes been consistently good since he regained his confidence which more or less coincided with Carlos arrival. Yes, a CB howler is always costly, just look at Van Dijk the other night.

Keane's entire time at Everton has been streaky.  Good run of form followed by terrible run of form followed by good run of form and so on.  He currently appears to be on a good run of form, but you'd have to expect the bad run to come again before too long.