August 11, 2020, 02:36:49 AM

Author Topic: Things you want to see in the 2020/21 season  (Read 1526 times)

July 29, 2020, 02:07:13 PM
Reply #45

Bluedylan

I've been thinking about something I heard someone say the other day on a podcast (can't remember who, apologies). They were talking about George Graham (I think) and his recruitment at Arsenal. To paraphrase, Graham said something like 'I never sign players from bigger clubs, because they treat you like they're doing you a favour' and I wonder if this is almost one of our problems at times.

When we think about Moyes' recruitment, a lot of those players came to the club, making a step up, with something to prove and came to us with real hunger. He seems to be starting to try to do the same thing at West Ham with Bowen coming, and the interest in Eze.

We're not signing too many hungry players, with things to prove at a higher level. At times there's been a lot of players who come here from larger clubs or have played at higher levels than us prior to that (Schneiderlin, Delph, Sigurdsson, Gomes, Iwobi). I'm not saying those players come here thinking consciously 'I don't give a fuck' but I do think there's probably a subconscious 'if this doesn't work out, I'm fine, I've played at x level, someone else will give me a contract' kind of fallback, which means they don't always give that extra effort that we've been used to in the past.

Maybe we need to start bearing that in mind more. I can see why George Graham would have that attitude. The power in the relationship with the players should lie with the club and the manager, not the player. The players should be grateful to be at your club and want to give everything for it (as much as that is possible in a world of insanely rich young men), rather than feeling like they're doing you a favour and they'll down tools or fuck off, if things get too difficult.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 29, 2020, 07:13:56 PM
Reply #46

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Yes.

Whatever your recruitment model, it is helped by stability

It’s very difficult if you have 5 managers/ head coaches and 2 DoFs in 5 seasons. There’s almost zero chance of any coherence as between those relationships no matter how well intended signings are and on whatever foundation.

It’s much easier to buy players if you know you only “need” one or two players for the first XI in a window. Any other “would likes” are just that and don’t have a massive bearing on confidence for the manager or supporters.

You can focus your resources (time and money) on that small number of positions.

It can’t be easy, no matter how much money you have available, to buy 5/6/7 players in one window and get them right because there simply isn’t the time to properly assess all those individual deals. That’s exacerbated if the signings are for a new coach with differing ideas to the previous one, how are they to synergise with the other players? It won’t/ hasn’t happened.

Making this summer tough.

So I’m wondering whether we’d be just better off really focusing on 2 or 3 positions (eg maybe just getting by with RB options) and making sure we get those right before addressing the others next year.

Extremely well-stated. Which is why the "Brands better get it right THIS window or else" stance is just plain ridiculous. Prepare to be disappointed.

If you look at our biggest problem areas, Brands is being asked to undo past mistakes before even having a chance to fix or rebuild.
Playing FM20 24/7.

July 29, 2020, 08:36:58 PM
Reply #47

Bob Latcford

Some sort of team that will show some fight. That will do me

July 30, 2020, 03:46:52 AM
Reply #48

Toddacelli

I've been thinking about something I heard someone say the other day on a podcast (can't remember who, apologies). They were talking about George Graham (I think) and his recruitment at Arsenal. To paraphrase, Graham said something like 'I never sign players from bigger clubs, because they treat you like they're doing you a favour' and I wonder if this is almost one of our problems at times.

When we think about Moyes' recruitment, a lot of those players came to the club, making a step up, with something to prove and came to us with real hunger. He seems to be starting to try to do the same thing at West Ham with Bowen coming, and the interest in Eze.

We're not signing too many hungry players, with things to prove at a higher level. At times there's been a lot of players who come here from larger clubs or have played at higher levels than us prior to that (Schneiderlin, Delph, Sigurdsson, Gomes, Iwobi). I'm not saying those players come here thinking consciously 'I don't give a fuck' but I do think there's probably a subconscious 'if this doesn't work out, I'm fine, I've played at x level, someone else will give me a contract' kind of fallback, which means they don't always give that extra effort that we've been used to in the past.

Maybe we need to start bearing that in mind more. I can see why George Graham would have that attitude. The power in the relationship with the players should lie with the club and the manager, not the player. The players should be grateful to be at your club and want to give everything for it (as much as that is possible in a world of insanely rich young men), rather than feeling like they're doing you a favour and they'll down tools or fuck off, if things get too difficult.

Great post!

Very interesting.
A perspective I hadn't considered before and more than a ring of truth about it.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates