• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

What are the current thoughts on Jo?

Started by blueToffee, December 02, 2009, 03:55:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GLewis

We're going to struggle to afford him no matter how well he plays, unless he does that well that he scores a mountian of goals that put us in the CL.

Which isn't going to happen.

As I've said in the ratings thread, he's shown in the last 2 games that he deserves more than to be written off as a no-hoper.

He offers better movement than our other 2 strikers and is better around the box in terms of link up play.

Where he suffers in comparison is that Saha looks like he can score in any game, even if he only touches it once and that you know that when the Yak is playing well he will score. You don't have that same confidence with Jo.

However we know that he can score when given good service and when the team is playing well.

Hopefully he's not out for too long as he certainly looks like our 2nd best option at the momement.

GLewis

.Rimbo.

Ultimately, though, the owners of City are clearly savvy business men, that's why their pockets are lined with plenty of coin. They're not going to keep someone on their books who is costing them money and doesn't want to be there. It could also affect the team spirit. They're not stubborn enough to (take note, Mr. Moyes) not allow a player to leave at a certain price.

They have Bellamy, Tevez, Adebayor, Robinho, Benjani and Santa Cruz to play up front. And also Caicedo and Bojinov out on loan, also, remember.

Jo clearly feels happy at Everton and will want to move here given the opportunity. It's whether we want him at the end of the day. If Moyes decides that yes, we want him, I don't think it should take that much coin. They'll be willing to cut their losses with him I reckon.

Problem is, will City even want to do business with Everton after this summer's fiasco?
"You never know how long you are going to spend (at a Club) but what I can say is that I can see myself finishing my career at Everton ... I have been in other football Clubs and I’m telling you this is a special one. People say we are a family â€" we really are."

~ Mikel Arteta, November 2009

http://www.youtube.com/v/DBmZ61e_nVA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1";>http://www.youtube.com/v/DBmZ61e_nVA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

GLewis

Quote from: .Rimbo.Ultimately, though, the owners of City are clearly savvy business men, that's why their pockets are lined with plenty of coin. They're not going to keep someone on their books who is costing them money and doesn't want to be there. It could also affect the team spirit. They're not stubborn enough to (take note, Mr. Moyes) not allow a player to leave at a certain price.
They have Bellamy, Tevez, Adebayor, Robinho, Benjani and Santa Cruz to play up front. And also Caicedo and Bojinov out on loan, also, remember.

Jo clearly feels happy at Everton and will want to move here given the opportunity. It's whether we want him at the end of the day. If Moyes decides that yes, we want him, I don't think it should take that much coin. They'll be willing to cut their losses with him I reckon.

Problem is, will City even want to do business with Everton after this summer's fiasco?

That's not a fair criticism or comparison, where even if they let Jo go for free it would make no difference to their overall financial situation.

We need ever single £ that we can get out of every player as that impacts on who we can subsequently buy.

kitsu27

If he does do well between now and the end of the season,expect to see some newspaper stories of other clubs joining the race to sign Jo!I don't think City will let him go on the cheap.And if all our other forwards are fit,then I think Moyes will want to spend that money on other areas of the team.If there is money to spend.

aylesbury blue

Jo is not a 1 up front man, he needs a partner with him and a ruun of games!!!
Phil Jagielka's best mate and the best player to have played with Tony Cottee....2 brief descriptions of Richie Boyle.

cad

I still don't rate him, but he's got until the end of the season to impress.

A bit improved for the last couple of matches, but if he doesn't continue to improve  I think our meagre resources could be better invested elsewhere.

veni veni veni

Jamokachi

There's a world class player in there in my opinion.

You can see it in his movement, his touch (on most occasions) his passing and the goals he's scored (although few and far between). The problem this year has been the football Everton have been playing has not suited him at all. As Rimbo said, if we had someone like Arteta in the middle (and I hope we see that later in the season) we'll see the real Jo.

His movement is better than any other of our strikers. You may scoff at that, but the way he pulls defences around is better than what the Yak and Saha offer, and that's why he'd work better with a strike partner and not being left sranded at the front of a 4-5-1. He had a fantastic record in Russia, where he played in a 4-4-2.

I hope he comes good for us, but he's running out of time. It's a shame, because with a better midfield he'd be doing an excellent job, I have no doubt. But as it stands, hoofball and low confidence aren't doing him any favours.

BlueSte

He has shown much improvement in the last two games IMO and remember he is still only a pup at 21, still room too further improve who knows what the finnished article could be.  My guess is that he will become a great striker with time.

Connavar

The lad has potential. Its just whether or not he realises it. He has shown glimpses of that in the last two games. He needs to impress more in training, thus getting picked for the first team. I'd like to see how he plays in an extended run playing off a front man, which is his preferred position.

BlueSte

It might be an idea to do with Jo what wenger done with Henry and play him on the wing for a while

4-ever-ton

Quote from: BlueSteIt might be an idea to do with Jo what wenger done with Henry and play him on the wing for a while

Wasnt Henry a winger that Wenger played as and ultimately converted into a striker - hence Henry's traight of sweeping in from the left?

Jo needs to be a more powerful presense on the ball, he's too weak and gets knocked off the ball a lot. His workrate / concentration isnt exactly amazing either :P

He has the touch of a good footballer, most of the time but its those glimmers of skill that make me think he can come good.

rozzie22

correct about henry. he started out as a winger at monaco. wenger bought him from juve and changed him into a striker.

i think Jo offers us something different. He's not the best striker but he's very mobile and has some nice touches..as proved yesterday for the goal (and sunderland away from what i remember)

he makes space, and chances, for players like pienarr, cahill and afroman (and now billy too)

montanatoffeefan

Same thoughts as always: he's a good lad and fine footballer with a sophisticated game that we, sadly, are incapable of playing most of the time. So he goes missing and people slate him. Same thing happens with Yak, Pienaar and Arteta. Put Jo out there with those three, plus Baines and Cahill and Billy and we'll be singing the lads praises and screaming for his purchase.  I'd really like to see us get a long look at him surrounded by quality footballers in the second half of the season. Think he could do great things here.

Jamokachi

Quote from: montanatoffeefanSame thoughts as always: he's a good lad and fine footballer with a sophisticated game that we, sadly, are incapable of playing most of the time. So he goes missing and people slate him. Same thing happens with Yak, Pienaar and Arteta. Put Jo out there with those three, plus Baines and Cahill and Billy and we'll be singing the lads praises and screaming for his purchase.  I'd really like to see us get a long look at him surrounded by quality footballers in the second half of the season. Think he could do great things here.

Got to agree with this.

Jamokachi