• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

August 14, 2022, 08:13:53 am

Moyes backs shared stadium

Started by NewsBot, December 08, 2009, 05:17:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

According to news reports David Moyes has backed calls for a shared stadium in the city, with Destination Kirkby now dead in the water following Communities Secretary John Denham's decision last month.

With noise from the Prime Minister about reviving the project still ringing in our ears, Moyes said: “I would be interested but I know there would be concerns,” said the Everton manager.

“In this country we don’t do it. For whatever reason we don’t do it in this country. But it may well work here in Liverpool. It could do.

“I think we would probably be interested because we don’t have a stadium.

With nothing definite, however, Moyes believes the best way forward could be to link up with city rivals Liverpool and build a mega-stadium that would house both clubs.

“We would like to move to a new ground where we can bring in more revenue.

“Perhaps Liverpool don’t need us as much as we maybe need them but I’m not against it. As long as it was done correctly, and giving us the same rights as Liverpool, I would be more than up for it.”

Chief Executive Robert Elstone is also open to the idea of shared stadium with Liverpool.

He said: “It’s certainly one of the options that we will need to cover. A shared stadium is perhaps an option if it’s affordable.”

While Moyes’ views are likely to cause controversy among fans, Everton have been more receptive to the idea of a shared stadium than Liverpool, who appear determined to press ahead with their own delayed plans to build a new ground on Stanley Park.

Club Chairman Bill Kenwright admitted recently that ‘the book is closed’on the £400million Kirkby project, and with Goodison Park seemingly beyond redemption, the club will have to return to the drawing board if nothing comes of Gordon Brown’s rescue plan.
[Submitted by ballyefc]

Mayor Farnum

34,000 against Spurs. Why do we need to move?

BluKnows

Quote from: Mayor Farnum34,000 against Spurs. Why do we need to move?

would you pay to sit behind a post or watch the game through a letterbox when it's on the tele?

Am not saying it's the main reason for poor attendance but it's definately a factor, there are parts of goodison I wouldn't sit if for free never mind pay for.
"Don't Forget Boys! 'One Evertonian Is Worth Twenty Liverpudlians"  Brian Labone  

fast lane

With our finances, it looks like the only option.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

Cods

Shared stadium - will save both England's World Cup plans and maybe Everton's future.

4-ever-ton

It should be explored as an option but it wouldnt be my first preferance. Would also be wary of LCC and LFC putting together some shite deal that meant we ended up with the short end and them with everything they want and more.

Mayor Farnum

Quote from: BluKnows

would you pay to sit behind a post or watch the game through a letterbox when it's on the tele?

Am not saying it's the main reason for poor attendance but it's definately a factor, there are parts of goodison I wouldn't sit if for free never mind pay for.

Granted there were many reasons for our poor attendance. But I can't see us adding another 15,000 onto our aveage at the moment. And they are talking about building a 75000 seater, even if we avarage 45,000 there will be a lot of empty seats every fortnight.

ttefc2

Quote from: Mayor Farnum

Granted there were many reasons for our poor attendance. But I can't see us adding another 15,000 onto our aveage at the moment. And they are talking about building a 75000 seater, even if we avarage 45,000 there will be a lot of empty seats every fortnight.

Compared to other problems, filling the stadium is only a small hurdle. Some creative marketing will solve that.
With three sons to keep happy, If I can't take them all, i dont go at all. Thats lost revenue for the club. With plenty of seats available, prices for the kids can be kept to a minimum. They are the fans of the future anyway.
If my family is an example, from maybe half a dozen visits per season we would go to 1 Adult and 3 kids season tickets.
From the age of five , I followed Everton everywhere with my dad, but as it stands now I can't see my lads taking their sons in years to come. In a lot of families, that tradition is being lost.
Creative marketing will solve that, and and go some way to filling a stadium. It might even give us an edge in future.

Blueney-tunes

Using a different approach, this is the second time in the last month I think Moyes has reitterated Kirkby is a poor idea!.
Even if it means promoting us sleeping with the enemy!

Cantoffie

This kind of attitude makes me sad.  I would love to sit anywhere in goodison. I would have no problem with a blocked veiw. Im all about supporting my team.

Silas

Quote from: Cantoffie

This kind of attitude makes me sad.  I would love to sit anywhere in goodison. I would have no problem with a blocked veiw. Im all about supporting my team.

I have sat obstructed view.  Especially during the 90s as a skint teen. Tbh it was better there than seeing the team during that time! All the atmosphere, none of the pain!
"The thing about football â€" the important thing about football â€" is that it is not just about football."  Terry Pratchett

Confucius

I hope this shared stadium comes to dfruition. 45 000 in a 75 000 seater stadiu is still 10 000 more bums on seats then we gettingnow. Pointless building a 40 000 seater stadium and filling it with no room to grow.
He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with stinky finger..

Confucius

He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with stinky finger..