• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

August 12, 2022, 12:13:15 pm

Moyes wants Landon Donovan on loan?

Started by benuski, December 08, 2009, 11:03:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueney-tunes

Quote from: barongreenbackI think he is a good option.  From what I have seen (mainly for national side) he is creative, quick and can play in multiple positions.  All I would want for a loan player in Jan.

From what iv seen for galaxy he not that quick.. and the prem is fast! and terms of creativity hes more Osman than Arteta. But who knows, he could well pull out the stops.
My bigger worry is however that he has a big mouth. He went to a national American magazine and defamated Beckham as a teammate and a captain.

montanatoffeefan

It's hard for Europeans to appreciate just how marginal "soccer" is in the U.S. Yeah, Landon Donovan is the country's best-known player. But I imagine it's about like being the best-known baseball shortstop in England.

As such, his impact on Everton's popularity stateside will be minimal. And, as I've said before, he's not up to doing much on the pitch in the Prem IMO.

American Evertonian

Would honestly love to have him, slightly biased as I am a Yank. I don't think his previous two European situations were not ones that particularly set him up for success. I think the pace he will provide and his heart and passion (something essential to represent us Blues) will be a great additions, especially once Moyes gets his hands on him. I am very excited about it.

blargins

Quote from: MmmBlueBilyaletdinov
Quote from: griff969According to SSN, Everton have confirmed talks are at an advanced stage for a 'Beckham like' 3 month loan in January

BBC radio 5 news just confirmed this also.

Interesting move from a footballing and commercial perspective.

Will increase our awareness stateside which isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, 3 more people might know about us.
Well, whores will have their trinkets.

toffee_scot

Quote from: barongreenbackI think he is a good option.  From what I have seen (mainly for national side) he is creative, quick and can play in multiple positions.  All I would want for a loan player in Jan.

No wonder Moyes is interested, another utility player.

Endless, Nameless

Quote from: cantoffee
Quote from: CallumF73We are already in the eye of the Americans because of Howard. He's their number one remember? Anyway, why do we want to be known stateside? I'm not being a grump, I'm genuinely asking. It's not like they have a wealth of talent for us to attract ;)
If you think Howard is more well known than Donovan then you're sadly mistaken. Donovan is the most well known U.S. player in the world and has been in the national team for so long now that even people who only follow during the world cup will know him. Howard is a relative unknown in the U.S.

We want to be known in the U.S. to increase our worldwide fanbase, which will bring in more revenue. I don't know if he'll be successful or not on the pitch but I'd be willing to bet the increase in revenue from his signing will pay for his wages so I don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't expect him to be that great though.

No, I meant number 1 as in their number 1 goalie and shirt holder. Everyone knows Donovan is their Wayne Rooney.

And surely the increase in revenue would be miniscule?
"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

AidyEFC9

People moan wether he can cut it in prem cos he did shit in Germany but Pienaar before he came to us couldnt get a game at Borussia Dortmund and struggled when he did play but look how he's been for us!.

Lets not judge him until he's actually here and got a few games under his belt.

ally2

Quote from: AidyEFC9People moan wether he can cut it in prem cos he did shit in Germany but Pienaar before he came to us couldnt get a game at Borussia Dortmund and struggled when he did play but look how he's been for us!.

What must they have done to Pienaar to get him into that state?  Seems impossible.

RICH

sky sources understand everton to confirm the signing of landon  Donovan on thursday

montanatoffeefan

Quote from: AidyEFC9People moan wether he can cut it in prem cos he did shit in Germany but Pienaar before he came to us couldnt get a game at Borussia Dortmund and struggled when he did play but look how he's been for us!.

So we should take on every player who's struggled to get a game in the Bundesliga because he could turn into Steven Pienaar?

Pienaar looked fine the couple of times I saw him for BD -- very involved, always looking for the pass and to set up his teammates, always hustling. He just wasn't scoring, which led a lot of BDers to write him off. He's hardly scored for us, but he's been fantastic.

Donovan...man, just don't see it. He was a pacy little winger eight years ago. Now, he's just a little winger. Who wants to be a second striker, as if we need another. He's lost a step and gained an ego that makes him think and act like he's one of the word's top players. That feud he instigated with Beckham this season was pathetic and despicable.

Just not the kind of lad we want lurking around our lockerroom or mucking up the pitch.

Sensei

Pienaar was played out of position in Dortmund.  They tried to make him into a classic #10 spielmacher, but he just isn't.

Unfortuately, if we get Donovan, we will most definitely be playing him out of position unless we still Cahill and Fellaini as our midfield...either that or he plays out wide where he's just not that great.

I feel that in the last year though he has definitely stepped his game up.  I think Everton is a big enough club to shut him up, he hardly made a peep in Bayern last year despite not playing much.  Most importantly though is he is creative, and in this team, especially without Arteta, we need it in spades.

Dove of Love

I think the signing of Donovan is a no lose situation in all honesty. He is a decent enough player who at this moment in time would get into our team. Is the 3 month loan deal a sign of when Arteta is due back? If injuries come up as they do with Everton, id prefer him on our right than having Gosling their. Get him in i say.

.Rimbo.

Good player, pacey, creative, versatile, effectively free and will give Bilyaletdinov a kick up the arse. In short.

Good business, shame it's only three months though.
"You never know how long you are going to spend (at a Club) but what I can say is that I can see myself finishing my career at Everton ... I have been in other football Clubs and I’m telling you this is a special one. People say we are a family â€" we really are."

~ Mikel Arteta, November 2009

http://www.youtube.com/v/DBmZ61e_nVA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1";>http://www.youtube.com/v/DBmZ61e_nVA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

AidyEFC9

Hey, montanatoffeeman, im just making an example, im not saying Donovan will be as good as Pienaar im just saying lets not right Donovan off just because he did shit in Germany, some players seem to suit/ find there own in some leagues rather than others and i was using Pienaar as an example of that.

Ok, Pienaar might of done ok at Dortmund, but him not getting many games would suggest otherwise in my eyes, all im saying is give the man a chance, to many of us are quick to write players off before theyve even kicked a ball for our club, just because they did shit elsewhere doesnt mean they will at us!.

You never know, he could turn out to have an effect as good as Brian McBride?!.

AidyEFC9

Btw, as anyone heard anything about a takeover of are club or talks of such, ive been on toffeeweb and theyve found something on a West Ham fans site and someone is saying weve been bought out by an Englishman and details of it will be announced in the next week or so?!.

I think its bullshit to be honest but i was just wondering if anybody else had heard any silly rumours?.

AidyEFC9