Best Everton PL English XI

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Shogun

Best Everton PL English XI

Article in the Athletic today. What do we reckon from their choice?

English XI (4-4-2 diamond): Pickford; Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines; Barry (DM), Osman, Barkley, Rooney (AM); Campbell, Calvert-Lewin

I'd go for Stones ahead of Lescott I think. Not sure about Rooney (if we're going by Everton performances) but can't think of anyone who'd replace him.

---
https://theathletic.com/5292236/2024/02 ... eague-era/

It is 25 years since a Premier League manager named a starting line-up made up entirely of English players.

On February 27, 1999, Aston Villa boss John Gregory sent out this side to face Coventry City (predictably enough, they lined up in a 4-4-2 formation):

Michael Oakes; Steve Watson, Riccardo Scimeca, Gareth Southgate, Alan Wright; Paul Merson, Ian Taylor, Simon Grayson, Lee Hendrie; Dion Dublin, Julian Joachim.

Little did anyone realise we would not see another all-English XI in the Premier League over the next quarter of a century. We have come close — Burnley manager Sean Dyche selected a team of 10 Englishmen and Matej Vydra for a game against Tottenham Hotspur in 2021 — but the Premier League’s ability to recruit the best players from around the world has meant English players are often in the minority.

To mark the anniversary, we asked our club writers to pick their team’s best all-English XI of the Premier League era (we’ve not included Luton Town, since they have only been a Premier League team for less than a season).

Everton
English XI (4-4-2 diamond): Pickford; Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines; Barry (DM), Osman, Barkley, Rooney (AM); Campbell, Calvert-Lewin

I’m going with players I’ve seen in the flesh, so that means no Dave Watson, no Peter Beardsley. Sorry, chaps.

Jordan Pickford pips Nigel Martyn in goal due to his longevity and influence in keeping Everton in the league in recent seasons.

Tony Hibbert was a stalwart of the David Moyes era and superb defensively, while Phil Jagielka and Joleon Lescott were such an effective partnership alongside him. Left-back is easy: Leighton Baines. He had a brilliant left foot and made the PFA’s team of the year twice at a time when the league was blessed with top full-backs

Gareth Barry was a brilliant addition during the Roberto Martinez era. So composed, so steady. Leon Osman, another key figure for Moyes, was vastly underrated at times and capped by England later in his career. Ross Barkley’s time at Everton started so well and promised so much but ended controversially. Still, there were some memorable moments, including a solo goal at Newcastle United.
Goaljira

Re: Best Everton PL English XI

Carsley has got to be in there. Maybe Barmby too? Don't ask me on formation.
Shogun

Goaljira wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:49 pm Carsley has got to be in there. Maybe Barmby too? Don't ask me on formation.
Thought that but guess he's Irish?
AllyBlue14

Goaljira wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:49 pm Carsley has got to be in there. Maybe Barmby too? Don't ask me on formation.
Carsley is Irish (technically) and we couldn't have Barmby after defecting.

Strong case for Dave Watson - not that I saw him much either - but our last captain to lift a trophy.
Goaljira

Shogun wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:54 pm Thought that but guess he's Irish?
Played for Ireland, but he was born in Birmingham.
TheRam

Madness not to include Stones.
Shogun

Steve Watson over Tony Hibbert I reckon
Shogun

Goaljira wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:17 pm Played for Ireland, but he was born in Birmingham.
Pfft you'll want Kevin Kilbane in the team next :whistle:
Goaljira

Shogun wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:26 pm Pfft you'll want Kevin Kilbane in the team next :whistle:
C'mon now, give me some credit.
Cozzie

Hard to argue with that but yeah you'd absolutely 100% have to have Stones, in over Lescott for me.
superpull

I mean, I'll defend DCL in his own thread.

But what are you smoking to put him in over Tony Cottee?
Kerryblueboy

That’s a pretty weak team imo Coleman was way better than hibbo ever was and lukaku has to be in there ahead of dcl
Cozzie

Kerryblueboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:19 pm That’s a pretty weak team imo Coleman was way better than hibbo ever was and lukaku has to be in there ahead of dcl
Not sure whether this is serious?
Shogun

Cozzie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:21 pm Not sure whether this is serious?
At least Kerryblue isn't from Ireland
TheRam

superpull wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:59 pm I mean, I'll defend DCL in his own thread.

But what are you smoking to put him in over Tony Cottee?

I’m going with players I’ve seen in the flesh, so that means no Dave Watson, no Peter Beardsley. Sorry, chaps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic