Ben Godfrey

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
4evablu

Re: Ben Godfrey

A lot of people are forgetting when we bought Godfrey he was “noticed” by a lot of clubs because he was playing in deep 6 position for Norwich. Protected across the back four and brought the ball out with pace transitioned the play very quickly from defence to attack….then Everton bought him and he became a left back right back lefts side centre half right side centre half even wing back on both sides a few times.
From there remember his injury problems and mental health problems emanating from his injuries.

He tends to do most full back things correctly at right back shows inside and outside very early..gets caught turning by a fast pacey winger a couple of times but recovery rate is in the top percentile. Also makes some very good last ditch blocks in the box…more game time he could be the answer to our RB issue.
Centre half I’d be very wary of seems not good
/strong enough in the air for a centre half…gets caught under ball too frequently for my liking.
WBFBTPL
brap2

I'm annoyed at myself by how much I'm actually buying this argument, and I think dyche will have seen him putting people in the air and thought yep that'll do for me.

I think full backs are really really important and he is absolutely crap, even defensively he's not that good. He's good in ground duals but he's crap man.

We need a PL level RB desperately, one of our biggest needs.

If for a short period we have the budget Wan Bissaka playing slideys and big boots for 2-3 games every now and again, fine, but a normal, regular, ok right back improves the side massively.
Bluedylan1

I think we'll get a right back this summer. Already been a few whispers that we're targeting one.
AjaxAndy

4evablu wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 am A lot of people are forgetting when we bought Godfrey he was “noticed” by a lot of clubs because he was playing in deep 6 position for Norwich. Protected across the back four and brought the ball out with pace transitioned the play very quickly from defence to attack….then Everton bought him and he became a left back right back lefts side centre half right side centre half even wing back on both sides a few times.
From there remember his injury problems and mental health problems emanating from his injuries.

He tends to do most full back things correctly at right back shows inside and outside very early..gets caught turning by a fast pacey winger a couple of times but recovery rate is in the top percentile. Also makes some very good last ditch blocks in the box…more game time he could be the answer to our RB issue.
Centre half I’d be very wary of seems not good
/strong enough in the air for a centre half…gets caught under ball too frequently for my liking.
He wasn't playing as a 6 for Norwich, he played as a CB... He did play DM at a lower level before his Norwich games but not once there.

He's also absolutely horrendous going forward meaning our RM gets doubled up on by defenders resulting in lost possession and no threat down that side.

He's done some good defensive work lately, gets across to sniff out tap ins at the far post brilliantly, but his overall game, especially on the ball and off it when we have possession means he shouldn't ever be considered first choice at full back.

I think he's perfectly fine as cover for both full back positions as a third choice, and also as a backup CB as 4th choice... Decent versatile squad player who you use when you have to, not because you want to.
777Kidnappings

Is this his 4th year with us?? Does that mean only 1 more on his contract
bigmanbob

AjaxAndy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:00 am He wasn't playing as a 6 for Norwich, he played as a CB... He did play DM at a lower level before his Norwich games but not once there.

He's also absolutely horrendous going forward meaning our RM gets doubled up on by defenders resulting in lost possession and no threat down that side.

He's done some good defensive work lately, gets across to sniff out tap ins at the far post brilliantly, but his overall game, especially on the ball and off it when we have possession means he shouldn't ever be considered first choice at full back.

I think he's perfectly fine as cover for both full back positions as a third choice, and also as a backup CB as 4th choice... Decent versatile squad player who you use when you have to, not because you want to.
He can leg it with the ball in a straight line dead quick, it's when he get up the other end of the field it all goes bit pear shaped
4evablu

AjaxAndy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:00 am He wasn't playing as a 6 for Norwich, he played as a CB... He did play DM at a lower level before his Norwich games but not once there.

I beg to differ i watched him on a number of occasions specifically in that position....
WBFBTPL
Gash

4evablu wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm I beg to differ i watched him on a number of occasions specifically in that position....
According to Transfemarkt he player there 33 times for Shrewsbury in League One and twice for Norwich in the Championship, maybe by pure coincidence that was the two games you watched.
AjaxAndy

4evablu wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm I beg to differ i watched him on a number of occasions specifically in that position....
According to TransferMarkt he played a grand total of 3 games at DM for Norwich.

69 as a CB, 3 as LB and 1 as RB.
4evablu

He may have been “lined up” on paper as CB I watched him play at least 4 times in front of the back four and recommended further observations/assessments on him.
Anyway he is what he is….
WBFBTPL
Bob Sacamano

👀
Cods

I thought I'd seen him in the middle in yellow too, but those fbref stats had him in midfield for Norwich 4x times, only as a late sub each time, and on each occasion for no longer than 5 mins.

Who knows.
TheRam

He wasn’t a centre mid at Norwich.

Whoever picked him to play centre mid at his other clubs probably needs a psychological evaluation.
brap2

I remember el piv saying his early promise had been at CM, but honestly I can't imagine it because he can barely kick a ball.
CannockPricey

The levels make a massive difference too in terms of positions. Someone who could play in midfield in league two or the national league would look a mile off it in the PL. I watched Des Lyttle play non league football in his mid 30s and he looked like Andrea Pirlo compared to some of his opponents. He was also exceptional in communicating and organising the younger lads. If you watched him play for Forest and West Brom in the PL he was never going to stand out.

Godfrey does this to us on the regular. There have always been flashes of ability and as I said last week he can absolutely take a bow for his performance in the derby but it is extremely unlikely he is going to hit a level of consistency to become a solid PL regular.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic