Bayer Leverkusen - Where would they rank?

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Cozzie

Re: Bayer Leverkusen - Where would they rank?

Yeah. Has anything like this ever happened in any of the top 5 leagues before? Unbeaten in absolutely every possible competition?
MayorFarnham

I regard it as a great season, a bit of an anomaly. Similar to the way I regard the 1978-1980 Nottingham Forest achievement, a decent side that had everything going their way for a short period of time but they grabbed it and wrung everything out of it.
CannockPricey

MayorFarnham wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:04 pm I regard it as a great season, a bit of an anomaly. Similar to the way I regard the 1978-1980 Nottingham Forest achievement, a decent side that had everything going their way for a short period of time but they grabbed it and wrung everything out of it.
Even allowing for the less competitive nature and the smaller number of games, for Forest to win back to back European Cups was pretty outstanding.

I like to point out to Villa brain donors who bang on about their fluke making them a much much bigger club than Everton that on that basis it only makes them half as good as Forest.
In a world full of adversity, we must still dare to dream.
cassius

I love how much @CannockPricey hates the Villa
TheRam

Great achievement and that but that 2001 team is the real OG

Ballack
Basturk
Ze Roberto
Lucio
Hans jorg butt
Berbatov
Carsten Ramelow
CannockPricey

cassius wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:01 am I love how much @CannockPricey hates the Villa
I play it down on here to be honest. I'm much worse to their faces.
:-)
Bluedylan1

I take a different view than some re: European Cups in the past. I don't think they were all that impressive, and I think clubs basing their identity on them is a distortion. It is massively overhyped.

When Villa won the European Cup they beat Valur (Iceland), Dynamo Berlin, Dynamo Kiev, Anderlecht and then Bayern Munich in the final. That's it.

When Forest won theirs one of them involved beating Grasshoppers (QF), Cologne (SF) and Malmo in the final. The other one involved them beating Oster (Sweden), Arges Pitesti (Romania), Dynamo, Ajax and Hamburg. Again, that's it.

Whereas a club like Arsenal has never won a European up, despite being overwhelmingly better and more successful than those clubs throughout their history.

It's massively harder to win the Champions League now, and the importance of old European Cup wins is hugely overstated when there was much lower standards of football all over the continent and you could saunter through to a final without playing anyone all that good.
CannockPricey

Bluedylan1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:34 pm I take a different view than some re: European Cups in the past. I don't think they were all that impressive, and I think clubs basing their identity on them is a distortion. It is massively overhyped.

When Villa won the European Cup they beat Valur (Iceland), Dynamo Berlin, Dynamo Kiev, Anderlecht and then Bayern Munich in the final. That's it.

When Forest won theirs one of them involved beating Grasshoppers (QF), Cologne (SF) and Malmo in the final. The other one involved them beating Oster (Sweden), Arges Pitesti (Romania), Dynamo, Ajax and Hamburg. Again, that's it.

Whereas a club like Arsenal has never won a European up, despite being overwhelmingly better and more successful than those clubs throughout their history.

It's massively harder to win the Champions League now, and the importance of old European Cup wins is hugely overstated when there was much lower standards of football all over the continent and you could saunter through to a final without playing anyone all that good.
Yes the European Cup was definitely easier to win but the Forest one, coming up and then winning the old First Division to get in is still mighty impressive.
blueforyou

Won the German Cup yesterday

If it wasn't for Lookman...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic