Dominic Calvert-Lewin

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Bluedylan1

Re: Dominic Calvert-Lewin

He's just not good enough 1v1 to be the guy at international level for a strong team. You need a guy who will take maybe the once chance he gets in a game at those levels, and for all his strengths, DCL isn't that.

Quite happy he's not involved with England personally. Keep him fit for us, and keep him away from the unsavoury Daily Mail elements of the England fanbase.
AjaxAndy

Dchans wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:29 am How many of us would swap him for solankie?

Straight swap.

Think I would
It always comes back to if we're talking about DCL if he managed to get fully fit and sharp, or the DCL that has to play within himself and still misses patches through injuries.

When he was at his peak under Ancelotti he was also bagging for England and looked like the best backup to Kane, and I'd take that over the best version of Solanke for both club and country.

Based on this season I'd have Solanke, but then DCL started showing something towards the end of the season that gives a glimmer of hope about him starting to maybe find some form and trust in his body again.
The Doc

I'd take him as a squad player over Toney, but it depends how many strikers Southgate wants in the squad.

For me, Kane, Watkins and Solanke are all better players and in better form. So if there's a place for a fourth striker, I'd take Dom. He'd be useful if they're chasing a goal and throwing it in the box, but that's about it.
Cods

AjaxAndy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:20 am
When he was at his peak under Ancelotti he was also bagging for England and looked like the best backup to Kane, and I'd take that over the best version of Solanke for both club and country.
To be fair to him in both those situations he had good players delivering frequent quality balls to him from advanced areas on the pitch, and he also happened to be on a roll with it. That hasn't happened at all lately and isn't really his fault.

His long term injury, slightly below average finishing, and isolation up front for long periods hasn't helped his cause at all.
MIG

Based on this season it’d be Kane, Watkins and Solanke for me. DCL and Toney wouldn’t even be in my thoughts really. However if DCL continues this form then he is the ideal Kane backup/replacement.
weimaranerblues

No for me , dropped down the pecking order, not to mention he Southgate has his favourites, even when Dom was in his squad he would be the odd man out when 3 players would have to miss out This nob Southgate more than likely to pick Wilson if he bags a goal or 2
AjaxAndy

weimaranerblues wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:05 am No for me , dropped down the pecking order, not to mention he Southgate has his favourites, even when Dom was in his squad he would be the odd man out when 3 players would have to miss out This nob Southgate more than likely to pick Wilson if he bags a goal or 2
Wilson has 9 goals in 19 matches this season. He's a very good player who misses half the season each year due to injuries, but his output is still well ahead of DCL's
CannockPricey

Shoehorning this in a bit but my favourite Callum Wilson fact is he is the same age (to the exact day) as Jonjo Shelvey. That does not feel as though it should be right at all.
In a world full of adversity, we must still dare to dream.
Audrey Horne

i wouldnt have any one in the squad that does a podcast with Antonio.
TheRam

He’s levels above Wilson.

Should defo go over him, Toney as well.

Watkins, solanke, DCL, Kane if he wants four strikers.
StirlingBlue

Toney seems to be underrated by a lot on here, he can do the combo of hold up work whilst still being able to run beyond that Solanke/DCL/Watkins can do but he’s much better technically than all of them and much closer to a Kane like for like IMO.

Solanke/DCL/Watkins issue as a Kane back up is that they aren’t able to pick a pass like him, Toney is closer to that IMO
weimaranerblues

Who ever goes ain't getting many minutes
Goaljira

weimaranerblues wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 am Who ever goes ain't getting many minutes
Exactly. Let him stay home, stay fit, and spend time with the baby. No point having a month away in Germany for nothing.
AjaxAndy

TheRam wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:16 am He’s levels above Wilson.

Should defo go over him, Toney as well.

Watkins, solanke, DCL, Kane if he wants four strikers.
Is he though? Wilson's had a very good season when fit, he's a consistent and productive premier league striker.

DCL apart from maybe 4 games has barely looked a premier league player this season. Don't get me wrong, I love DCL and a fit and confident Dom is better than Wilson, but he's not been that and has zero right to even be talked about as an England player right now.
TheRam

AjaxAndy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:09 am Is he though? Wilson's had a very good season when fit, he's a consistent and productive premier league striker.

DCL apart from maybe 4 games has barely looked a premier league player this season. Don't get me wrong, I love DCL and a fit and confident Dom is better than Wilson, but he's not been that and has zero right to even be talked about as an England player right now.
Yeah, such a more rounded player than Wilson.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic