Gana

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
MarcusFenix

Re: Gana

Bluedylan1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm Just referring to an earlier post in the thread, Gana's excellent but he's not up there with Rodri. No-one in his position is up there with Rodri. Possibly the best all round player in the world.
Referring to your post yes I agree, Rodri is another level on his own.

Gana is the level below that and easily amongst the best in his position in the PL. Can't think of too many holding midfielders from other teams I would rather have.

In terms of the Garner vs Gana debate that was going on, players of Garner's quality are common in the PL but players of Gana's quality are rare in the PL.
cassius

*players of Garner's quality are common in the Championship
CraigS...

Bluedylan1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm Just referring to an earlier post in the thread, Gana's excellent but he's not up there with Rodri. No-one in his position is up there with Rodri. Possibly the best all round player in the world.

For them not old enough to remember Roy Keane playing Rodri is Roy Keane or the closest thing I have seen to him , minus the being a dickhead part of course
CraigS...

cassius wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:23 pm *players of Garner's quality are common in the Championship

Everton fans attacking young Everton players is common online
CraigS...

All I can say on the James Garner thing is thank fuck you lot a not football scouts

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/80464 ... issa-Gueye

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/36778 ... mes-Garner
Last edited by CraigS... on Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRam

CraigS... wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:50 pm All I can say on the James Garner thing is thank fuck you lot a not football scouts
What are you seeing that we’re all missing?
CraigS...

TheRam wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 pm What are you seeing that we’re all missing?
sorry added them the 1st time but did not go on
cassius

CraigS... wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:47 pm Everton fans attacking young Everton players is common online
Probably about as common as backing overrated players
brap2

I feel sly about the garner thing because I've obviously been a vocal proponent of the He's a Crab movement, but honestly I've really appreciated his performances this season. Guaranteed blood sweat and tears, doesn't disgrace himself on the ball by any means, and has good delivery on set pieces.

Not having the Gana Vs Garner debate because one has been a CL level player and the other a championship level player being absolutely honest, but garners probably on 25k PW, Gana is past 30 and on 100+ so like I absolutely understand he's probably going it's fine, it's not what I want but it's probably happening.

Having Jimmy G's about the place doesn't raise the ceiling but it raises the floor a bit I think, he can graft and he can put his foot in and he can run some laps.
superpull

Spot on brap

But, I'd suggest "raising the floor" should be the priority for a year or 2?

Or, was that the justification we all used when shite kept walking through the door over the guts of the last decade?
TheRam

I think garner doesn’t really know what type of midfielder he is yet.

He’s ok at everything but gets caught up trying to do everything and is often out of the game.

Needs to find what his stand out attribute is and build his game around that.

He can strike a ball really well and has a nice touch but is he really a number ten?

He’s very good at picking up second balls and moving the play on but is he really a six?

I think he could be a good player at arriving late in the box and scoring goals but I’m not sure he wants to be that type of player.

He’s in the Tom davies vortex at the moment.
777Kidnappings

Yeah I don't mind garner. He's a bit of a plodder at this level but he's 1 of a few who we are actually getting genuine value for money for both in terms of fee and wages
brap2

A time will hopefully come when the problem is the opportunity cost of signing safe crabs over signing good players with potential, but being honest I don't think that time is now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic