General Transfer Thread

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Gash

Re: General Transfer Thread

Don't know how Phillips to West Ham will work out, he's played so little over the last 18 months there's every chance he'll spend the time picking up little niggly injuries.
bigmanbob

Alleged £7m loan fee. Fuck a duck
74Blue

bigmanbob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:29 pm Alleged £7m loan fee. Fuck a duck
And that's just one of the issues with FFP. You can be docked 10 points for being £20m over, but what is that deal costing West Ham? You're easily looking at £12m to "borrow" Kalvin Phillips for 6 months. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent enough player, but he's most definitely not a game changer. £7m loan fee and covering his wages, which is likely in the region of £175 to £200k a week. There's another £5m or so just in wages. It's fucking crazy.
Cereal Killer

74Blue wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:33 am And that's just one of the issues with FFP. You can be docked 10 points for being £20m over, but what is that deal costing West Ham? You're easily looking at £12m to "borrow" Kalvin Phillips for 6 months. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent enough player, but he's most definitely not a game changer. £7m loan fee and covering his wages, which is likely in the region of £175 to £200k a week. There's another £5m or so just in wages. It's fucking crazy.
What’s value for money got to do with FFP?

They can spend it on whatever/whoever they want if they’re under the limits
74Blue

Cereal Killer wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:45 am What’s value for money got to do with FFP?

They can spend it on whatever/whoever they want if they’re under the limits
I'm not talking about whether or not it's value for money. The point I'm making is that £20m in Premier League terms is an absolute drop in the ocean. It's barely even enough to realistically "borrow" a sliightly above average midfielder from Man City for a season, never mind buy him.

What doea £20m get you in the Premier League?
Cereal Killer

74Blue wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:31 pm I'm not talking about whether or not it's value for money. The point I'm making is that £20m in Premier League terms is an absolute drop in the ocean. It's barely even enough to realistically "borrow" a sliightly above average midfielder from Man City for a season, never mind buy him.

What doea £20m get you in the Premier League?
Yeah the level is far too low, think someone said it should be nearer £230m with inflation from when they set it

Still better than what’s to come though, at least it’s supposedly level for everyone
Goaljira

Cereal Killer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:13 am Yeah the level is far too low, think someone said it should be nearer £230m with inflation from when they set it

Still better than what’s to come though, at least it’s supposedly level for everyone
The limit, whatever arbitrary value is assigned to it is stupid. A business with annual income of over £150m per year, or £450m over the period shouldn't be allowed to put its existence at risk by spending £680m.

Yes, it means that the draw bridge has been pulled up and protects the cartel. But limit or not thats aleady happened anyway. You're never going to get agreement on a salary cap. The playing field will never be level again. Everyone else is just here to make up the numbers now. To fleshen out the product and give the worldwidely marketable franchises people to play against.
Gash

Lukaku's latest "come and get me" plea, this time to pretty much anyone in the Saudi League. :snigger:
"In the next two years I see this league becoming one of the best in the world, if not the best. The clubs make a lot of efforts to bring the 'big' players here. As a result, the teams and the footballing qualities are improving significantly.”
Shogun

Saw that. He's such a cock.
Shogun

Gash

Poor Sky Sports News, deadline day is so crap that they're having to show Jamie O'Hara and Melissa Reddy playing darts.
weimaranerblues

Fuck am watching the prem darts
Cereal Killer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68176098

Good to see Lingards move to Barcelona went well!
bigmanbob

They'll love his dancing over there, although he has to score first
Gash

You do wonder why no one's touched Lingard, I'm sure he could have done a job for a promoted team or in the Championship. I know it'll mainly be the money, wanting top wages when he's not a top footballer so priced himself out of the market but you can't help think he's become a bit of a laughing stock at times and hasn't help himself. Built up into something he never was, he's another player who financially has probably earned far more than his ability warranted. The money will no doubt be good but he could end up another Henderson where no amount of money can make up for the complete change of culture, lifestyle and distance from home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68240046
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic