Dominic Calvert-Lewin

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
brap2

Re: Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Goaljira wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:57 am Him and Tarkowski were head and shoulders above the rest.
Thought Gueye was handling his usual business as well
Goaljira

brap2 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:55 am Thought Gueye was handling his usual business as well
He had two shots. He should know better. One * taken off for each shot.
Kerryblueboy

Yeah his hold up play was good but too much of a gap between him and the support often had to come deep to find support
howard1334

AjaxAndy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:32 pm Yeah he probably should have scored a small number of them, but he hasn't and the team aren't doing anything give him good opportunities to find form and confidence by netting a few simple goals.

Fuck me, it's usually me being the black and white one on here not the more grey area guy 🤣

An on form DCL bags a few of those chances, but as a team we aren't doing anything to give him that form because he spends the entire game chasing his own flick ons and then somehow is expected to be Haaland sharp (whose also missing chances) when we finally give him a half chance to leap between two defenders and try score a header from 12 yards out.
Sigh... he's got 3 goals on an XG of 9. The. Worst. In. Europe. That's totally on him. No individual chance is on him, obviously. But his failure to score more than 3 goals when an average striker in Europe with the exact same chances would be expected to score 9 is obviously on him. He's gotten decent service. He's had decent chances. And he's sucked in front of goal. He's a liability at this point.
MayorFarnham

Has the word gotten completely replaced the word got.
AjaxAndy

MayorFarnham wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:40 pm Has the word gotten completely replaced the word got.
Should really be 'he's had decent service'
Shogun

What's even being argued here? Yeah, he's well underperformed his xG. Even some of his 'clear' chances we create for him are a bit scrappy. His lone-striker play outside of goals has been, at worst, adequate.

Confidence will be down after his last couple of massive injury hit seasons also. He's shown himself as a top Premier League striker before that and we've seen nothing of Beto/Chermiti to believe they're better options.

He's unlikely to be going anywhere in the summer and next season is the last one on his contract. Hopefully he returns to form, if he doesn't then he's more than repaid his initial transfer fee and it's a massive shame that his career has gone the way it has.
Cozzie

I blame @Shogun

Ever since he changed him to his avatar he's been shite.
brap2

I think if he'd scored 3 goals over the last couple of weeks the narrative would be radially different. And I don't think it's worth hammering one of our best players, who despite his struggle in front of goal, is absolutely vital to how we play, over him being 3-4 goals off par.

Had a look through the games I felt we should have won, the ones where the xg out stripped goals and we came away with a draw like Luton and that.

He misses the biggest chance on only one occasion I think it was, and that was Spurs, where his missed chance (his biggest of the season, 0.77) did go in, but was given to Harrison.

He was the top cumulative missed chance taker in the home game v United as well actually, but we just got done over in that didn't we.

Tark, Onana, Doucoure, Garner, Beto...basically players who are in the box during set pieces, have all missed big big chances during the run. More often than not bigger ones than him.

I would love him to be finishing at a better rate, and for me this slump won't last.

I back him.
Bluedylan1

I think a lot of us back him and have been backing him all season. Of course he'll come good and score goals again. But there was one stage where it felt almost sacrilegious to criticise his form and performances. You can criticise a player and still really rate him. If anything some of us are criticising him because we rate him, and we know he's capable of better.
Big Nevs Vaz

He has looked low on confidence but the service to him has been atrocious. Our crossing in the final third is overhit time and time again. I feel for him. He’s streets ahead of anything else we have though. I would like to see him tried just ahead of Chermiti in a two. The handful of minutes that Dom and Beto have been on the pitch together have generally ended up with them getting in each other’s way.
777Kidnappings

brap2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 pm I think if he'd scored 3 goals over the last couple of weeks the narrative would be radially different. And I don't think it's worth hammering one of our best players, who despite his struggle in front of goal, is absolutely vital to how we play, over him being 3-4 goals off par.

Had a look through the games I felt we should have won, the ones where the xg out stripped goals and we came away with a draw like Luton and that.

He misses the biggest chance on only one occasion I think it was, and that was Spurs, where his missed chance (his biggest of the season, 0.77) did go in, but was given to Harrison.

He was the top cumulative missed chance taker in the home game v United as well actually, but we just got done over in that didn't we.

Tark, Onana, Doucoure, Garner, Beto...basically players who are in the box during set pieces, have all missed big big chances during the run. More often than not bigger ones than him.

I would love him to be finishing at a better rate, and for me this slump won't last.

I back him.
He's 6 goals off being par. Or with more context going at a third of the rate he should be. Won't last?? It's almost half a season long now.
brap2

777Kidnappings wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:25 am He's 6 goals off being par. Or with more context going at a third of the rate he should be. Won't last?? It's almost half a season long now.
No, I don't think he is. If he had 6-7 goals so far this season it wouldn't be a talking point. He's got 3.

I've said my piece on what the chances are like he's getting created for him and how our style of play is playing a part in underperformance. He had a header from the top of the D the other night as one of his 3 shots ffs.

And no, it won't last. It's a clear aberration that will smooth out, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind.
Gash

brap2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:11 am No, I don't think he is. If he had 6-7 goals so far this season it wouldn't be a talking point. He's got 3.

I've said my piece on what the chances are like he's getting created for him and how our style of play is playing a part in underperformance. He had a header from the top of the D the other night as one of his 3 shots ffs.

And no, it won't last. It's a clear aberration that will smooth out, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind.

He hasn't got 6-7 this season or scored three in the last couple of weeks though so it's not really a valid point, you can't use stats all the time then dismiss them or alter them when it doesn't suit your own point of view. It's always someone else's fault when it comes to DCL, meanwhile we've got Doucoure heading towards his best ever goal scoring season despite missing a few games with injury. When a striker as talented as some of you say he is goes 18 games or whatever it is now without a goal then he has to start taking a bit of responsibility. Top strikers create things and make things happen, if not for themselves then for others but he's not even doing that, he's got one assist all season. Three goals and one assist is poor by anyone's standards.

He looks shot of confidence and I feel for the lad, he's had a torrid two years but I don't see him getting anything like back to his Covid purple patch which is what it's increasingly starting to look like that's what it was, a purple patch. Unfortunately due to lack of options we're having to lean heavily on him rather than maybe give him a bit of break and use him off the bench and see how that goes.
TheRam

I think he’s missed at least 6 chances during this spell that he should have scored.

Surely if you rate him as highly as some to, you’d expect him to scored those chances and be disappointed in his finishing?

I know I am. He’ll score soon and go on a run like we’ve seen with Jimenez and Richarlison this season, but it’s getting a bit silly trying to place the blame of the manager for this.

Ings, gray, Wood, Austin and even Ashley Barnes all had good records playing for Dyche.

DCL is better than all of them. He should be doing so much better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic