Amadou Onana

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
AjaxAndy

Re: Amadou Onana

brap2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 pm Think people were fed up with him, dyche's comments on him 'saying he was not ok to play' and the pen was probably the nail in the coffin
Are you talking about on here or socials though? I feel on here almost everyone says he's clearly talented, does some stuff well, is better than Garner, will go on to be a top talent, but doesn't perform often enough to the standard he's capable of.

Don't really see anyone being over the top with criticism on here tbh.
TheRam

Where does he rank in terms of premier league midfields we’ve had?

Struggles to make the top ten for me.

Talented player but when he leaves will there be many memorable moments or performances we look back on?
brap2

TheRam wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:01 pm Where does he rank in terms of premier league midfields we’ve had?

Talented player but when he leaves will there be many memorable moments or performances we look back on?

Where does he rank in terms of 21 year old premier League midfielders we've had?
TheRam

brap2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:14 pm Where does he rank in terms of 21 year old premier League midfielders we've had?
Nowhere. He’s 22
Mouse

TheRam wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:01 pm Where does he rank in terms of premier league midfields we’ve had?

Don’t you think that’s a bit of a harsh yardstick to apply? He joined us just before his 21st birthday and is just about to complete his second season in a struggling team having faced two relegation battles, with two managers and a club in chaos while at the same time settling into a new city in a new country.

How many of your top ten were in your top ten with their first two seasons (never mind under 22)?
Escla

brap2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:08 pmWhich isss
The same stage of their career.
Audrey Horne

🙄
Toddacelli

Everyone dancing around the racism word.

There will be some of that in some people’s criticism in some parts of the world, but this reads like we’re trying to have an honest discussion about the man, but scared of saying the ‘wrong’ thing.

This place has always been a good place for honest debate, there are always those who will call you out when necessary, correct or educate. I have needed it and gratefully received it with an open mind and open heart myself at times.

It’s like the word ‘lazy’. Lazy has some very damaging connotations and has been used in a derogatory way about people of colour in the past. Now it feels like some people want to call him lazy but are worried the internet will come to get them.

I think that wanting to call Onana lazy is a bit lazy myself. It’s not really laziness. We want him to do more. We think he’s capable of more. That doesn’t mean he’s not working hard. It just means that in the current set-up, for whatever reason, (formation, confidence, gaffer’s orders, a combination of the lot and more), we’re not seeing what we want. And we want him to do more, so lazily, we call him lazy.

We’re right to take a beat before calling a young black pro athlete lazy. But we should still afford him the same treatment as anyone else and discuss his performance in the same way we do everyone else.
Escla

:roll:
Audrey Horne wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:25 am🙄
Audrey Horne

He will end up being great. I dont think he is going to be here next season and will go somewhere much much better than here, and will be very good.

We dont have the correct system for him obviously. But thats ok.

Ill never forgive him for that penalty but hey ho :)
bigmanbob

Not sure how on earth we've termed that lazy is racist. Lost on me that.
AndSeel

bigmanbob wrote:Not sure how on earth we've termed that lazy is racist. Lost on me that.
Its probably because lazy as a term is usually on used to describe black footballers.

See Saha, Yakubu, Lukaku, Onana, Jo etc etc

Sent from my SM-G977B using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

bigmanbob

I beg to differ, it was a term used to describe lazy footballers, I didn't call Jo it cos he was black, it was cos he didn't move.
TheRam

I’ve called him lazy because I do think he can be lazy in games.

I’ve also called garner lazy as well and it’s no coincidence they were both dropped after than Chelsea game.

Was a massive wake up call for both of them.

Maybe it’s part of his game to be languid but he does frustrate me. Someone of his physicality should be imposing himself on games more.

He has large periods where he isn’t in the game. When he makes the big move he’s going to have to step it up a level.
brap2

Escla wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:10 pm The same stage of their career.
Young...players...coming..through?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic