Dominic Calvert-Lewin

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Goaljira

Re: Dominic Calvert-Lewin

I don't want to sell him, but losing him for nothing next summer would be worse.

We can't afford to be offering a 27 year old with availability issues a 4-5 year deal on top money, so not taking £20m this summer plus his wages for the year would mean this year would be like a £25m loan deal. He's not worth that.
Cozzie

Tough one. He's gonna be so hard to replace.
bigmanbob

Goaljira wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:57 am I don't want to sell him, but losing him for nothing next summer would be worse.

We can't afford to be offering a 27 year old with availability issues a 4-5 year deal on top money, so not taking £20m this summer plus his wages for the year would mean this year would be like a £25m loan deal. He's not worth that.
Reluctantly, I think I agree with this. I want him to do well cos he's been with us for a a while and comes across as genuine. But the harsh reality is, even though he had a bit of a goal scoring spree at the end of the season, his goals return is poor, his time on the pitch is poor and we can't afford to loose him on the cheap. My worry is, our recent record of striker recruitment is a bit pants
AjaxAndy

His wages depending on what you read are between £85k and £125k a week.

I'd keep him at the lower end of the figure but if he's on anything north of that it's hard to justify renewing his contract on those kinds of wages.

The issue for me regarding selling is that he is pretty much the absolutely perfect Dyche centre forward. So if we want someone who's going to lead the line under this manager it'd be extremely hard to replace with someone as well suited for the money we'd get.

We'd also probably not actually have the £20m (or whatever he went for) to spend as it'd be absorbed by the debt repayments.

He's also just started showing signs of a return to form and physical reliability so he could end up being successful elsewhere which I'd find hard to stomach as he's my favourite player.

Think I'd be offering him a new deal personally, maybe £75k a week but with some heavy appearance and goal bonuses.
StirlingBlue

He also does seem happy here so I don’t think it would be a hard sell - we have him his breakthrough and stuck with him through the injuries.

Dchans

Enter Chris Wood………
Juanito

Dyche has done a great job with us and getting DCL fit again but I am not too sure DCL will enjoy playing the way he has to in this system. I would rather lose him for nothing in the summer, as he could keep us up.
brap2

Gash wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:31 pm If he's not wanting to sign a new contract or we're not offering a new one then we need to sell if we're getting anything around £20m for him rather than nothing next year. Some work for KT but he's a career 1 in 4 striker so should be fairly easy to replace.
If theres one thing I feel I've learned about strikers through watching DCL, it's that it's definitely not about Just Scoring Goals.

I think he's more difficult to replace for this team than Branthwaite.
Cereal Killer

Dchans wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:47 am Enter Chris Wood………
Scored twice as many as DCL this season… :whistle:
Juanito

Cereal Killer wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:44 am Scored twice as many as DCL this season… :whistle:
I'm sure DCL would score more if he had Elanga on one wing, Hudson Odi on the other and Gibbs White behind him as the 10. Instead of the 'service' he gets at Everton.
Cereal Killer

Juanito wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:58 am I'm sure DCL would score more if he had Elanga on one wing, Hudson Odi on the other and Gibbs White behind him as the 10. Instead of the 'service' he gets at Everton.
You almost make it sound as if Forest are actually, well, good?
Juanito

Cereal Killer wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm You almost make it sound as if Forest are actually, well, good?
Nah, just that their attacking midfield options are better than ours.
Cozzie

Juanito wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:58 am I'm sure DCL would score more if he had Elanga on one wing, Hudson Odi on the other and Gibbs White behind him as the 10. Instead of the 'service' he gets at Everton.
I see your point but if those said players where here, especially under Dyche, they would probably be instructed to play a different way.
The Doc

AllyBlue14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:05 pm Much prefer him to stay - hasn't had a great season, obviously, but he's finally put together a run of games again and has really come good in the last few weeks of the season.

Not sure in our current position how we could replace him satisfactorily, at least we know what we're getting with Dom. Even if we got £20m for him, how much of it would go towards a replacement? Or would we go with Beto, Maupay and Chermiti (Championship, here we come)?

Plus, he's my 5 year old's favourite player - Dominic Calbert-Lewin. It's a hard enough fucking sell as it is but he'd be gutted if he left.
My 4 year olds favourite is Tarkowski, because he's the super strongest. Whatever keeps him interested eh.
Silas

brap2 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:24 am If theres one thing I feel I've learned about strikers through watching DCL, it's that it's definitely not about Just Scoring Goals.

I think he's more difficult to replace for this team than Branthwaite.
While this is true the goals aspect isn't hard to replace and we could in theory bolster in another position to compensate for what he brings. Think he's a great player but we are where we are with this squad and we can't afford to hold on to him until his contract goes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic