Today's Football 2023-24

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
TheRam

Re: Today's Football 2023-24

AjaxAndy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:46 pm Can't understand how he's let that in, what a howler!
Always said not buying dubravka when they had him on loan was a big mistake.
Bluedylan1

For all his talents, Foden does struggle to impose himself on games at times. That's why he's not quite at the elite level for me yet.
TheRam

The proper football club won.
StirlingBlue

Fair play to United there, given all the talk about Ten Haag being on his way out the door that’s a great performance.

City weren’t at their best but you’ve still got to beat them
Bluedylan1

Boring spectacle, 1 club outside of the ''big clubs'' winning the trophy since 2014. Tedious stuff.
TheRam

Rashford is such a miserable cunt.
biziclop

Given how United said they were gonna sack Ten Hag, this is definitely the most banter result possible.
Shogun

Makes sense the side that have spunked far more money on their team get the trophy
Audrey Horne

TheRam wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:07 pm Rashford is such a miserable cunt.
Sad seeing him cry
Audrey Horne

Honestly can't deal seeing city fans stand and clap every time they win so I'm glad united won there seeing the limbs
Mouse

Whether happy for United, sorry for City or just plain couldn’t care less (my personal favourite) rejoice in the news that kicks the Saudi B team out of Europe. A step beyond silver linings!
Bluedylan1

One thing I don't get is why Middle Eastern owners are necessarily worse than US consortiums and hedge funds owning clubs in the eyes of fans?

It was overwhelmingly US owners who came together to form the Super League, and tried to end the football pyramid and the concept of competition, and you absolutely know they want to do that again if/when they can. They want an absolutely closed shop with guaranteed incomes and no relegation, similar to the US model.

I think they are just as harmful and dangerous to football, if not more. Feel like it's a very Western centric POV to just think the Middle East owners are completely the devil.
Last edited by Bluedylan1 on Sat May 25, 2024 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cereal Killer

biziclop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:09 pm Given how United said they were gonna sack Ten Hag, this is definitely the most banter result possible.
“We’re pleased to announce a new six year deal for Ten Hag, he’s always had the support of the board and players and we’re excited to see how he continues to develop the exciting young squad”
Escla

Bluedylan1 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:42 pm One thing I don't get is why Middle Eastern owners are necessarily worse than US consortiums and hedge funds owning clubs in the eyes of fans?

It was overwhelmingly US owners who came together to form the Super League, and tried to end competition and the concept of competition, and you absolutely know they want to do that again if/when they can. They want an absolutely closed shop with guaranteed incomes and no relegation, similar to the US model.

I think they are just as harmful and dangerous to football, if not more. Feel like it's a very Western centric POV to just think the Middle East owners are completely the devil.
Sorry, didn’t mean to like , just meant to say that the difference is the human rights record of the Arab owned clubs.
Bluedylan1

Escla wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:48 pm Sorry, didn’t mean to like , just meant to say that the difference is the human rights record of the Arab owned clubs.
Yes, that is a difference and it's absolutely a fair one to point out. I mean in terms of the health of football, they are equally harmful.

I often wonder how much people really care about human rights records too, in all honesty. I think a lot of that narrative in the Western media is quite performative and virtue signally. I mean we say we care massively about human rights, and there will be some people who absolutely stick to their principles with that in everything they do and full respect to them, but I would wager that most/all people on here (myself included) give money to companies who run sweatshops and have appalling human rights records, and we know about it and still do it.

Also, many of the US billionaires have acquired their wealth through different forms of exploitation. Just feels a bit like one devil vs another devil, and neither is all that great and yet somehow we make this big distinction.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic